MY FRIEND JOHN BALES

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
spnplgrkenny

MY FRIEND JOHN BALES

Post by spnplgrkenny »

I FIRST WAS INTRODUCED TO JOHN BALES IN THE EARLY 90S AT OUR NATIONAL JAMBOREE BY FRANK HAMILL. I HAD HEARD FRANK SPEAK OF JOHN MANY TIMES, WITH HIGHEST REGARDS. IF FRANK SPEAKS OF ANYONE WITH PRAISE, THAT WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.
BACK THEN JOHN WAS CLEAN CUT AND HAD A SUIT ON. HE WAS PREPARING TO TEACH A CLASS AT THE JAMBOREE. I REMEMBER THAT BIG SMILE AND THE FIRM HANDSHAKE. I ALSO NEW THAT MR. PERRY WAS VERY HIGH ON JOHN.
SINCE THAT INTRODUCTION, JOHN AND I HAD PERIODICALLY STAYED IN TOUCH A COUPLE TIMES A YEAR. I NEVER LOST SIGHT ABOUT HOW IMPORTANT THIS TRUE FRIEND IS TO SPOONPLUGGING.
JOHN KNOWS SPOONPLUGGING IN AN OUT, YET STILL VERY MUCH CONSIDERS HIMSELF A STUDENT.

BACK IN OCTOBER, I HAD THE AWESOME PLEASURE TO BE INVITED BY JOHN TO COME TO LAKE ERIE AND FISH FOR A FEW DAYS. JOHN AND THE TRIP TO SAY THE LEAST, DID NOT FALL SHORT OF MY EXPECTATIONS. TO WATCH THIS MAN BEFORE GETTING ON THE WATER, AND THEN ONCE GETTING ON THE WATER, MADE ME REALIZE WHAT AN AWESOME SPOONPLUGGER THIS MAN IS.WHATS SO AMAZING ABOUT HIM IS HOW HUMBLE HE IS. HE ALWAYS PRAISES MR.PERRY, AND ALL OF HIS GREAT SPOONPLUGGING TEACHERS. HE TRULY GIVES THEM ALL THE CREDIT. JOHN IS COMPLETE, IN EVERY ASPECT OF THE SPOONPLUGGING PROCESS. HE HAS READ THE STUDY MATERIAL MANY TIMES AS WELL AS SPENT THOUSANDS OF HOURS ON THE WATER FISHING MANY DIFFERENT LAKE TYPES AND SITUATIONS. HE FISHES ALL THE DEPTHS FROM THE SHALLOWS TO THE DEEP. HE TRULY UNDERSTANDS ALL THE CONDITIONS, AND WHAT IT TAKES TO CONTINUALLY PUT FISH ON THE STRINGER.

I REALIZE JOHN DOESN'T NEED THIS OPEN PRAISE SAID ABOUT HIM TO BE RESPECTED.ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN SPOONPLUGGING FOR A WHILE IS FAMILIAR WITH JOHN BALES AND TRULY RESPECTS HIM.

IN THE LAST COUPLE YEARS, I HAVE LEARNED MANY THINGS FROM JOHN, AND HOPE TO CONTINUE TO DO SO FOR MANY MORE YEARS. WHEN JOHN SPEAKS, I LISTEN!.
BUT EVERYONE KNOWS BEHIND EVERY GREAT MAN LIES A GREAT WOMAN. WHEN I MET DEBBIE BALES, I REALIZED WHY JOHN IS SO SUCCESSFUL. SHE IS A CLASS ACT!!!.
SO, THANK YOU JOHN TO NOT ONLY BEING A GREAT FRIEND, BUT BEING SO IMPORTANT TO THE PRESENT AND FUTURE OF SPOONPLUGGING.

YOUR OLD BUDDY, KENNY
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: MY FRIEND JOHN BALES

Post by Steve Craig »

Very well said Kenny. I agree with every word you wrote. I know it comes from your heart, which by the way is as big as Johns!
Well said by another great Spoonplugger!
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Jerry Borst
800 series

Post by Jerry Borst »

All right John,, how much did you pay Kenny?? And who really wrote that, :mrgreen:

All kidding aside I couldn't agree more! John has been a great friend to so many and one of the biggest supporters and promoters of Mr. Perry and all who call themselves a Spoonplugger.

Even before I had the chance to looked him in the eye or shake his hand for the 1st time I already knew John was 1st class. He told me later he thought I had some fire, with one sentence he added 40 more years to my spoonplugging.

Also, John always talks of Deb in the highest regard, he is a very lucky man to have her! Thanks buddy for always being there! From all of us! Your friend and lifer, cheers!
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Those are some very nice words from several great spoonpluggers and I am honored to know all of you. But you talk about me like I'm going to die tomorrow. Do you know something I dont? :)...... Maybe I should'nt have eaten that tripple burger king whopper for lunch. Kenny, it's time for payback my friend. The first time I saw Kenny, he was fishing below the Picwick Dam. Frank Hamill was driving Ted Walter and I around to show us the lay of the land. That area just had several inches of rain and every one of the flood gates were wide open and the water was gushing out from everywhere. There was one single boat out there and it was Kenny. Frank told us that we had no business out there and we should fish above the dam till things got back to normal. The next time I saw him was at the same location and the situation was not good but the saugers were plentiful if you knew what to do and how to do it. Again Kenny was the one showing everyone how and where to catch the fish.
Two falls ago Kenny invited Ted and I to their outing in October. Kenny set up a camper and another good man from their club(Wayne Alford) paid for our site. Another club member who would get mad if I mentioned his name sent me a hundred bucks for gas and said to get down there. What more can I say about this group of great human beings. If I were to describe Kenny for those who havent figured this out yet, I would say that he is a very big hearted person, a sothern gentleman and a great spoonplugger. After actually getting to spend a little time with him, he is more like a brother than just a friend.
He offered to make me a 36 pound anchor and bring it up for us to use on lake erie. I told him that if he wanted to make it, that would be fine but to consider that he would be the one lifting it up and down each time. He must of given that some thought because I didnt get that anchor.
One of the best things about being involved in spoonplugging are the people that you meet. I can honestly say that without help from other spoonpluggers, that I would still be looking for unanswered questions. Thanks Guys.......... John