No-Bo line life

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Woody

No-Bo line life

Post by Woody »

What kind of life does this line have??????
Gary Schiffner

Re: No-Bo line life

Post by Gary Schiffner »

I know I live dangerously, I have reels that have had 12lb. No-BO on them for over 5 years-10 years, seriously.
Now you got me thinking to check them, no, I HAVE to change them!
Jerry Borst
800 series

Post by Jerry Borst »

If you loose a couple of baits or fish because of brittle line imo it's not worth it... However it really depends on how much time the line has seen water/ sun ect; and how you store your reels during the off time. To be honest I've been lazy and leave them in either the boat/ garage or basement till spring and respool them all then,, but when thing$ are tight you start thinking differently.

To test it peal off a few feet, rap line around one hand and with the other give it a good yank, if it breaks with relative ease, it's time to change it. You can pull off some line testing it every so often till you see a difference in strength, then add backing to build it back up. Or you could respool it. End for end it using 2 empty reels. The line that is spooled on the reel 1st dose not see any elements, it may have memory for a while but it can be used. I've done the same thing with wire after getting a few kinks, just bury em.
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

You will note that fresh no bo is very clear looking. With age it will look a little more white and less clear. The break test Jerry is talking about works good. I replace mine when it starts turning a little white instead of clear. My wire gets used till it is so springy I have trouble letting it out. I start by cutting a bit off at a time and when it gets too springy, I turn it around. Tie it to your mailbox and start walking (I make a few trips around my garage. Tie a weight to the end and go back to the mailbox and start reeling and walking till you get it all wound back up. Once it becomes springy again, it goes in the trash and new goes on. John
Gary Schiffner

Post by Gary Schiffner »

The mailman ever stop at your house while you were doing that? Bet he passes right on by you,
that's one way to keep the bills away! You have any neighbors close by, you for sure keep them
scratching there heads!

Good tips though John!
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

My neighbors know me well already. The first day that we moved in, the one neighbor came over and bitched about how the former owner mowed his lawn. Too short in the summer and it was all burned up and brown while both neighbors lawns were nice a green and well taken care of. I told him that he should take a good look at it right now because it will be as good looking now as it will ever be. We had beautiful tulips coming up near the house. I covered them up with black plastic and white rock over the top and nothing grows there anymore. Flowers need taken care of and this takes away from time on the water. My house had beautiful bushes around the house. Our first winter with a lot of snow, the deer came up and ate everything that they could reach causing them to not look very good and they need trimmed at times and that takes away from my time on the water so I pulled them all out of the ground and there is no more work. More time on the water.
Actually we have great neighbors on both sides. We make sure that they get enough fish to satisfy them and I get all the home made pies I want. Life would be even better if there were a few jobs around here but thats just the way it is. Take Care John PS... Gary, Are you happy with the ranger?
Gary Schiffner

Post by Gary Schiffner »

John,

I love it, don't know why I waited so long to get one! I was a little concerned about the boat control after having a 13' troller, 15' troller, 16' Monark and a 13' Whaler. I have not noticed much of any difference at all. Actually I think I have better control, I must have over steered a lot, seems a lot easier to contour troll now. Plus the ride and the room inside hands down the best boat I have ever had!!!!
spnplgrkenny

Post by spnplgrkenny »

HEY WOODY, ONE TIME WHILE FISHING LAKE KISSIMMEE IN FLORIDA, MY WIFE AND I HIT A MORNING MOVEMENT. SHE HUNG A BIG BASS AND I THREW A MARKER. AT THE SAME TIME I THREW A MARKER MY SPOONPLUG HUNG INTO A HUGE PILE OF HYDRILLA. IN ORDER TO REEL IN I CRANKED MY DRAG DOWN TIGHT. MY WIFE BOATED A BEAUTIFUL 10 LB BASS. WE QUICKLY PUT OUR SPOONPLUGS BACK IN THE WATER AND STARTED FIGURE EIGHTING THE MARKER. I GOT AN ENORMUS STRIKE THAT ONLY A BIG FISH CAN DELIVER. GUESS WHAT, I NEVER LOOSENED MY DRAG. IT WAS 17LB NO-BO. WHAT A SICK FEELING WHEN THE BIG BASS BROKE MY LINE. I LOVE NO-BO, AND THAT DAY WAS MY FAULT. JERRY AND JOHN ARE EXACTLY RIGHT. CERTAIN THINGS A MAN MUST CHECK. ANYTIME I WENT TO FLORIDA I ALWAYS PUT NEW NO-BO ON, EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T REALLY HAVE TO.
LATER THAT DAT THE OTHER SPOONPLUGGERS CAME BACK IN TO LUNCH. TERESA AND I STAYED TO BRAVE THE MIDDAY HEAT. AT I P.M. I CAUGHT A 10 LB BASS. PERSEVERANCE PAYS OFF.

THE TWO BIG FISH I AM HOLDING UP AT THE LEFT OF THIS ENTRY ARE THOSE FISH

SINCE ALL THE STRETCH HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM NO-BO, I ALWAYS KEEP A SOMEWHAT LOOSE DRAG. ESPECIALLY WHEN TROLLING 7 TO 8 MPH
FLORIDA SPEED
KENNY
Woody

Post by Woody »

Thanks guys!!!!