Bottom Bumping

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Dave Reed
500 series

Bottom Bumping

Post by Dave Reed »

I understand why bumping bottom with a particular number spoonplug is the great way to learn the depth of your lure. I have read that some people believe they get more bites when the spoonplug is continually bumping at the bottom. Do you guys feel you get more bites with a spoonplug bottom bumping than when it is free swimming up a foot or two off the bottom?
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: Bottom Bumping

Post by Steve Craig »

For the most part when after bass, I want all my lures just ticking the bottom most of the time.
When in the shallows, ( water less than 10 feet) , with the first 3 sizes of Spoonplugs, they will take a free running lure. Once you get past that depth, you had better be bumping bottom most of the time. NOT PLOWING! Just a nice even tick, tic, tic, most of the time.

Alot of the time the Pike and Walleyes will take a free running lure, but you will still catch more if your lure is ticking once in a while.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

A spoonplug kept in position will show the fisherman every good structure in the lake, teaches how fish use structure, how fish move according to weather and water conditions, teaches you the soft and hard bottoms of the lake, learn the importance of depth and speed control, shows you where to cast and so much more. You get all this just by keep your lures in position. Enjoy....... John
Jerry Borst
800 series

Post by Jerry Borst »

When in doubt, let it out. :mrgreen:
Team9nine
800 series

Post by Team9nine »

Dump ‘til you bump 8-)
Harold Standish
400 series

Post by Harold Standish »

Right on Right on.
Hal
Harold Standish
400 series

Post by Harold Standish »

Harold Standish wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:42 pm Right on Right on.
Hal
All 4 respounders know the SP score.. great answers the four of you.
Hal
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

You always want to be bumping the bottom IF YOU CAN. In some of the flatland lakes that I fish I cannot always bump the bottom no matter the depth.
For me it is usually stumps on the bottom at the channel edge that is the problem, in this case you want to tick the tops of the stumps as often as you can without getting hung to often.
David Powell
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Guys

Words of wisdom (experience) from Champ!

The same technique applies to submerged brush, tree tops, and mucklines.

Yet another Spoonplugger lesson in depth control that I wished I had learned or known about years ago. Sure would have saved a lot of my Spoonplugs.

Thanks

TN Dave
Dave Reed
500 series

Post by Dave Reed »

I mostly will be trolling deep 25' to 40' for walleyes. Should I expect to hang up a lot until I get used to trolling breaks and should I make up some sort of "stump knocker" or something else to free my spoonplugs? I had originally planned on using the 12# NoBo for 15 foot or less and 15# monel wire deeper than 15 foot for running the smaller sized spoonplugs and jigs/twister tails on 3 ways deep. Does that sound doable or is it too light?
phillip szafranski
200 series

Post by phillip szafranski »

Dave, I will let the others respond to the topic regarding the presentation of lures. I am not certain if you have read any of Buck's material. If not, I strongly recommend it. You will be able to access many answers from the group here but to fully comprehend and achieve maximum satisfaction in your fishing, the Green Book needs to be read.

Regarding wire, just prepare yourself for all that is involved. It simply is not as easy as it sounds and will likely be frustrating for someone that is just starting out. If frustration set in, it will escalate your desire to discontinue what you are seeking to achieve now.
Phil
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Wise words from Phil.
Dave, It is my belief from things you have posted, that Bucks material hasnt been read and studied. Going out and trying to troll a Spoonplug, or any other lure for that matter, out deep as you say, will result in major frustration for you.
Im going to be very direct here.
Wire line should NOT be used until you have mastered Contour Trolling the shallows with the first 3 sizes of Spoonplugs with NOBO line, keeping each size in position and let the lure show you where to fish.
You simply can not understand how this is achieved by going out and doing, and not know what to do.
The worst thing a new to Spoonplugging guy can do is to go out in deep water and troll a Spoonplug.
You need to first, MAP the structure you want to fish. This is all in that Green Book and the Home Study course.
Don Dickson has good videos to watch to learn how to do this. John Bales has some too.
Once you map your Structure, then you can Contour Troll the shallows on that Structure, keeping each size in position. After the first 3 sizes are run, then all passes with the 200, 100, 700, 800 will be straight line passes with NOBO line. This will get you out to about 23 to 25 feet or so.
Once you have done this a few time, you will be catching fish like you never believed possible.
After that, you can then start to learn how to use the 20# wire, with a 200 , which will get you down to around 30 feet or so, and then use each size to go deeper ON THE STRUCTURE.
Just going out and trying to troll a SP in 25 to 40 feet of water with 15# wire will not do you one bit of good. Like Phil said, Frustration will set in after losing all you Spoonplugs and not catching fish.

I know I sound harsh, but i am not. We long time Spoonpluggers just see so many newbies give up because they either didnt read Bucks material, or they wouldnt map, or they wouldnt follow his Procedures.
All of us on here want to see everyone have good success, but in order to achieve that, you really need to study the material and THEN apply it on the water.
Im going to quote a quote from a fellow Spoonplugger that wrote an article in the newest National Spoonplugger News Letter.
Scott Duff said in the article......." I listened".
It is my hope that you do too to all these great fishermen that just replied to you.
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

Dave Reed
Now that some are posting their locations I see you live in kernersville NC. I have to wonder where do you plan to troll 25-40' deep for walleyes.
There are several good bass lakes not far from kernersville.
Why would you not fish these ?
You difinitely need to get a very good plug knocker/reteriver ,then just as trolling you will have to learn how to use it .
David Powell
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Dave Reed

A few suggestions to lessen the learning curve of Spoonplugging;
(1) The obvious, read and study Buck Perry’s written material
(2) Sign up for “The National Spoonplugger” newsletter at nsoa.info
(3) While at nsoa.info, check out the list of Certified Spoonplugger Instructors (CSI) and the requirements for the course. The cost of the course will be saved from learning what equipment is needed and what is not.

All of the above will dramatically improve your Spoonplugging; along with the satisfaction of learning how to do things right the first time.

Good Fishing

TN Dave
phillip szafranski
200 series

Post by phillip szafranski »

TN Dave, fine suggestions and thanks for suggesting the National publication...it is greatly appreciated!
Phil