Muscle Car

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
Fran Myers
JB1

Muscle Car

Post by Fran Myers »

I'm in a position to act on one of my dreams and after working for a couple of months I am going to ask you guys for help.

I am looking for a 67-68 ford Mustang Fastback. After searching Internet Craig's list, eBay, various mustang forums - all kinds of searches Ive gotten to a level of frustration that I haven't had in a long time.

If any of you know about a project let me know. Thanks
Fran
Fran Myers
Kevin McClure

Re: Muscle Car

Post by Kevin McClure »

Fran, If you would like, I will do some searches out west for you. Please let me know.
A word of advice: recently a San Diego man found a vehicle on Craigslist and went to purchase a dream car, was mugged and his money was stolen. The muggers used someone else's address and when the guy showed up they jumped him. He's lucky to be alive. I recently sold a bunch of junk on CL to make room for the new boat and the number of scammers that contact you is scary. Anything from trying to clone your phone to overseas scams. I guess what I'm trying to say is be careful when dealing with people in general and especially Craigslist. Kevin
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

Yeah I am not too anxious for Craig's List. Thought I had one yesterday but it got strange really fast. Funny how eBay turns into the more reliable way to get cars.

I've searched the Internet. If you find something without going out of your way, let me know. Am planning on a professional build and I'm about ready to turn the search over to them.
Fran Myers
brett
100 series

Post by brett »

Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

Thanks Brett.

I've been there. At this point I'm looking for someone who knows someone...I've even gone through every city on Craig's List. I'm looking for a mostly rust free project.

I didn't do myself any favors by choosing this particular car.
Fran Myers
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

what's the budget? I charge a 20% finders fee. I can have a car in your garage in 2 weeks.

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/3759480341.html

http://cars.trovit.com/index.php/cod.fr ... pe.1/pop.1
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

Thanks bink. I've made an offer.
Fran Myers
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

Witch one?
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

We found a different one on Internet. If that one falls through then that first one you found will work.
Fran Myers
Jerry Borst
800 series

Post by Jerry Borst »

Which one Fran?
I've owned a few vintage Mustangs and been a follower for many years. Had a cute 66 white fastback with a auto 289 when Ryan was a baby, also had a real nice red with a white convertible top, mint condition before some idiot ran into her and totaled it, moron! but hey I'm not still bitter ha ha... It was a dog of an engine anyway. Had a chance at a 64 1/2 260, probably should have bought that one. :cry:
I guess I was holding out for the "one", the one I never did get ahold of though I did look for many years the 67 Gt500 with the 427, now that is a car that will make your heart skip a beat! 

I build a couple of cars, mustangs but one of my favs and by far the fastest was a painted up pitch black with blacked out windows, chrome Craigers on a 70 Maverick with 67shelby tail lights, this car looked hot! Front air dam with a snorkel hood scoop. We put a bored out 302 with 351 heads, a .536" exhaust lift solid cam with with a 750 Holley on top of a torker intake, and 9" rear end, that sucker could smoke the tires by dropping the 4 speed down at 60 mph, it's amassing someone didn't get hurt in that thing..... Luckily just a bunch of tickets, They say God looks out for fools and drunks, we may have been both back then, ha ha!

Good luck with your search! It's hard to beat the retro cars right now... They sure look nice,,, and they have AC! And power steering.
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

I was going to go for a Challenger or Barracuda. But my wife said she always wanted a Mustang so I spent two weeks choosing. I few with the rest of the crowd in hoping to get a 67-68 Fastback.

I have been vacillating the past couple of weeks. I have more budget than skill so I am going to get a project and have someone build it. Here is one for sale that mine will be based on: http://www.kumberamotors.com/cars.htm?l=o&id=609 I don't have the budget to just buy this one. I intend to use it as a daily driver in the no-salt on road season.

This car is a 67 Shelby Clone. I am partial to the 68 Shelby GT500KR hood. However, I am starting to think about something a little more of a sleeper. Sorta like the Bullit car - no scoops on sides and a different color. I wanted a good engine/car weight ratio. I am interested in having something that can corner like a Ferrari besides just going fast in a straight line.

Going with something a little bigger on the motor I think but not the 428 SCJ. That's close to $40k just for the engine I guess. I can't go that insane but the engine choice is quite a bit more than I was planning and I will have to make some other changes to make it happen. Probably going to go with a 351w or 408 but you never know. It comes with a rebuilt 302 so if it was recent I could do that too.

After looking for a couple months I was able to find a shop in my state. I had been talking to someone in AZ but that was kind of far for me to be comfortable.

I found a couple cars here and in Wisconsin but they were rust piles that had a FastBack roof. I found one with the metal work done from California. So I will buy that one and then have the shop sit on it till the engine is done or another choice is made. I think it will be done for next years season. They tell me it could be done fairly quickly but I think we can take some time to think about things.
Fran Myers
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

Sounds like a sick project!! Always wanted a fast car but know for a fact I would kill myself so iv decided on a clasic pickup with a 6 cylinder. If u need more options let me know that was a 30 second google search while sitting in traffic
MartyMcAvoy
200 series

Post by MartyMcAvoy »

69 Camaro Fran!! 427 Stick Car, 4 or 5 Speed!! Whips those over-rated Shelbys, all day, every day!! 1 year Body Style, better looking, & a lil' more room... I still have my 1st car, since 1981, a 69 Camaro SS & have since purchased the 69 Z/28 Camaro, Stock Eliminator Drag Car, I was raised on, going drag racing w/my brother in law & sis'... they moved in 3 doors down when i was 9 or 10, making it easy for me to go, & giving me access to it... working on it, kept me out of alot of trouble growing up. We would follow the NHRA Divisional series, & catch a few IHRA Races each year, for 30 years. Mostly the Surrounding states but occasionally some long trips, we were gone racing 3 weekends a month from March thru October. That's Y I enjoyed going to all the Spoonplugger Outings back when I could... similiar...
Knowledge is the Key to Success! Sharing it is Part of that Success! IN~Spoonplugger.
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

I could have gone Camaro. Actually had a number of special opportunities. I'm just not into them. Started out looking for an AAR Cuda...Wife said she always wanted a Mustang so after some research I picked my years and started looking.

Despite some of the comments, I've looked a lot of different places including every link on Craig's List. Quite a few Mustang Forums (some I paid to access). I ended up buying a project from eBay that is ready for paint. I lost 3 different ones over the last two weeks so after watching this one for 5 days, Even with the sniper, I decided to just buy it now. I bought it last night.

Muscle cars are a new interest for me. Started watching different cars shows on cable and caught the bug. This is going to be a restomod. Modern suspension, steering, ac, pb, sat radio. Car comes with 302 and 4 speed but I'm leaning toward 408 and a 5 or 6 speed.

Was going to go more fancy with power windows, locks, comfy electric seats but I think my engine choice doubled the engine budget so interior will stay same - new one previous owner bought for car. But who knows.

The engine is extreme overkill but the builder appeals to me. http://Www.badasscars.com thinking the 408. Read it, watch videos (especially the cost stuff) you'll see what I mean.

Was thinking of some pretty radical looks (68 Sheblby GT500kr) but now I'm thinking about something kind of subdued, sleeper like. Similar to the Bullit car with just one color and no emblems - just not green like everyone elses Bullit car. Maybe even paint that looks like its rust in places. But it's not like I'm pinks hunting so that may change. Someone will probably say Eleanor but I think that's too much.

I only asked on here because the Internet wasn't yielding the kind of results I wanted. Was hoping a word of mouth thing would happen but that didn't work. Next choice was going back to the Cuda/challenger or 69-70 boss mustangs/Mach 1.
Fran Myers
indianabass
250 series

Post by indianabass »

Fran-

Have you ever looked into the replacement bodies Fords currently available?

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/ford_models2.html

Andy