depth/line lenght direct proportion?

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
44charlie

depth/line lenght direct proportion?

Post by 44charlie »

example: smallest SP goes 2'-4' therfore 2'/20yds,3'/25 yds,4'/30yds

so if i run 10 yds what will it run. of course i know line diameter will matter and maybe slow speed.

also what is a "layer" ? a wrap back and forth on the reel i'm quessing? if a layer is say 3' does that really have that much affect on depth.

thank you
charlie
Bart

Post by Bart »

Charlie,

1 layer is one time across with the level wind. A half a layer can be a fine line between sucess and no sucess.

Bart
MartyMcAvoy
200 series

Layers

Post by MartyMcAvoy »

Charlie, I have always counted Colors, & then Layers, just the way I followed the book...but I do remember watching some videos of Mr. Perry talking about getting down to right on the money every time by counting colors & then the layers in between & then on the last layer, counting the revolutions of the reel handle, & breaking that down into fractions of a turn. ie: 3 Colors, 2 Layers, & 3.5 turns. Of course this requires a reel such as Buck suggests we use. As far as the small variances in length, I have heard say that when U have the length just right...the lure will bump or not, just by raising / lowering of the rod tip a foot or 2. Marty.
Knowledge is the Key to Success! Sharing it is Part of that Success! IN~Spoonplugger.
MartyMcAvoy
200 series

A Layer

Post by MartyMcAvoy »

Sorry I left out the basic definition of a Layer: ................ pausing for a moment as those that know me are languishing @ what I might type in here...! HAHAHA! OK, its late, enuf fooling around. A Layer, is, to most, 1 pass of the line guide across the reel face. Some only count this as a half a layer, making 1 full layer as the line guide returns to original starting position. I prefer to count each pass as in the 1st description. Marty.
Knowledge is the Key to Success! Sharing it is Part of that Success! IN~Spoonplugger.