GPS units

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Harvey

GPS units

Post by Harvey »

Any spoonpluggers out there use GPS units? I'm thinking of getting one. I know this is only an "aid", but would this help in the mapping process? I would think it would help getting back to those spots way out there in the middle of the lake, when shoreline sightings are not available.
Would this be a good aid or just a gadget?
Fran Myers
JB1

GPS

Post by Fran Myers »

Harvey,
As a professional pilot I like my gadgets. I just bought a Garmin 178C that hopefully will be installed on my boat this week.

I do NOT plan to spend the extra money to get the Blue Charts or Hot Spot maps because I suspect they are mostly incorrect as far as spoonplugging goes.

I have had a similar box in my personal aircraft and the fact that it leaves a little dotted line where your track was, will help me get a clearer picture of trolling paths and shapes. The 178C also has a graph type sonnar so I have a backup to my flasher.

I plan to NOT use the GPS for navigation or anchoring positions. The 3 foot error even with the enhancements can still be too inaccurate for getting into the right casting spot. However I will get an electronic map of my paths to help tighten up the map drawing process.

All GPS units can be somewhat intimidating but if you are planning to get one, if you can find out what unit someone close has - and buy the same one. Different units while doing the same thing can be VASTLY different in setup and use with different terminology and buttons. That is if your uncomfortable with technology.

If you have ANY problems with Tech before you buy, you would be better off NOT buying one of these units until you see someone use it and to help guide you through the beginning. Got to run to my flight Bye!
Fran Myers
jjen

Post by jjen »

I too am a gadget nut. I have used GPS for the last 5 years. Even before they had WAAS I could hit my favorite structure with that unit. I now have an Eagle Fishelite 480. This unit can record sonar. At the same time it records GPS data. I can play it back on my computer and find structure that fish are holding on and I can go right back to it. I have been a slave to sonar for over forty years and wouldn't do without it. I wouldn't do without GPS now that I have used it. Digital topo maps are now available for many lakes. I have the contour maps that I need right on the unit and it tells me where I am on a structure. (Please don't tell Buck!) :roll: