Buck's rods for trolling wire

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
rockfish

Buck's rods for trolling wire

Post by rockfish »

I have two of Buck's trolling rods and I heartily recommend them. I've finally decided to try trolling with wire. I bought some wire, from Buck's Baits, of course. My question is, will these rods hold up to wire trolling or will the wire wear a groove in the guides, and if so, how soon? I don't want to ruin two good rods. If they're not up to it, I'd rather just go out and buy a rod that is. Any help would be appreciated.
david powell R.

Post by david powell R. »

If they where not up to the task Buck Perry would not have sold them.
randy

bucks rods for trolling wire

Post by randy »

rockfish: you must change your rod tip too a carboloy tip or with just one seasons use it will be down too the wire rim that holds your ceramic ring on the tip. the size of the tips on bucks rods are a size 10. : randy
Last edited by randy on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran Myers
JB1

Rod Tips and Wire line

Post by Fran Myers »

I don't know about Randy's experiences but for myself, I have never had any problems with the wire cutting through the tip. It does get really hard to reel in but that is easily handled by getting the large reel handle that Bucks Baits sells. The first thing Terry O'Malley told me when we met in Hickory was to get the big handle.

I thought I would need to change to a roller type rod tip but the bigger handle was all that is needed. I have never had ANY problems with the rods bought from Bucks Baits.

Even if you do have problems which I suspect you won't, I have been using wire pretty steady for more than 5 years and I can say the rod is just fine. So being the rods are brand new, it will be at least 5 years before you have any issues with the tip.

So my advice is to just go fishing and have a good time.
Fran
Fran Myers
badluck

Post by badluck »

the wire line will groove your tip. a carboly tip is impervious to the grooveing effects of wire.
joseph radunz
200 series

Post by joseph radunz »

were can a fella find those tips you speak of? I've worn through several already with wire.
jwt1

Carboloy tip top

Post by jwt1 »

Try Jann's Netcraft. http://www.jannsnetcraft.com
Bob Rives

Post by Bob Rives »

Put the rod tip in the water when you reel in. Good Luck, Bob
Questor

Post by Questor »

Another option is to skip wire altogether and use 30# braid. I don't have any problem getting down to 40' with it.
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Wire will make groves in your rod tip. It will also make groves in the side of your boat. If you want to see how much experience a fisherman has using wire, take a look at the side of his boat. No groves, not much experience using wire.
In no way will braided replace wire. There is a time and place for no-bo,wire,and braid. We use all three but do not expect braid to go to the depths that wire will.
Braid works very well when fishing a tall weedline and using a short line. It also allows you to rip through the weeds and keep on going without getting fowled. Wire does the same thing though. The only bad thing about wire is that you must point the rod at the lure or fish when reeling in. With the braid, there is no worries about having to do that. You can bend the rod over your head when fighting a fish and there is no friction on the rod tip like there is with the wire.
The braid will not stand up to the zebra muscles. They will cut it like nothing. It requires that you use a leader made of heavy mono (50 to 80lb test) or a piece of wire or some kind of steel leader, whatever you prefer.
As I said, there is a time and place for each of those lines as our tools to do a job , but only using braid and not having wire will limit you as a fisherman.
John