cold water-walking lure

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Scott Duff
250 series

cold water-walking lure

Post by Scott Duff »

One of our top Spoonpluggers, upon making a fine catch in cold water, noted that Mr. Perry had written that a walking lure (slow and steady) was even more important in the cold water season...interesting to consider why this would be the case. Comments?

Scott
ckspoonpl1@aol.com

Slow steady walk in cold water

Post by ckspoonpl1@aol.com »

Scott,

It is difficult to explain the "why" with many things in fishing. We are fortunate that Buck Perry has given us guidelines that tell us how fish behave and what we can do to catch them. For many years, I wasted much time contemplating the "whys", but then realized that to get totally correct answers, I would have to do extensive research, not just guess. Buck has done sufficient research to tell us what to do. If I were to guess why a slow steady walk works in cold water, I would go back to Bucks' Guidelines. 1) slower speeds in cold water
2) a walking lure is easier for a fish to locate and is effective at triggering strikes. Inactive fish are often tight to the bottom.
3) action and speed control are practically one and the same. Slow steady action provides the easiest target for inactive fish.
4) In warmer weather, fish will take faster speeds and free running lures more.
This is probably not a full or even accurate explanation of "why" because there are too many variables in each fishing situation (depth, season, weather, etc.). It is only normal to ask why, and I still do at times, but it is not necessary with a good working knowledge of Bucks' Guidelines.

Chase Klinesteker
SWD

cold water-walking lure

Post by SWD »

Chase,

Your points #1, 2, and 3 were where along the lines of what I was thinking. My question/comment in the post centered around Buck’s statement that “ALL fishing SUCCESSES and ALL fishing FAILURES must be answered in terms of DEPTH and SPEED.” In other words, “WHY depth and WHY speed.”

Because I have done limited fishing in midwinter from a boat, I was interested to read in your original report about Buck’s mention of the effectiveness of a slow walking lure in cold water. Makes sense, and obviously this slow/bottom-bumping control would be checked during the presentation of lures, but I guess I missed where Buck mentions this specifically.

Scott
John Bales
JB2

cold water

Post by John Bales »

Scott, I do not remember Mr. Perry making that particular comment about it being more important that we walk the bottom in the colder waters. It is always important to maintain bottom contact in deep water no matter what the water temps are or the speeds that we check. You know that already. I would'nt give it another thought. John
John Bales
JB2

cold water

Post by John Bales »

Scott, I do not remember Mr. Perry making that particular comment about it being more important that we walk the bottom in the colder waters. It is always important to maintain bottom contact in deep water no matter what the water temps are or the speeds that we check. You know that already. I would'nt give it another thought. John