Detroit river sturgeon

brett
100 series

Detroit river sturgeon

Post by brett »

I was asked to put the sturgeon video up. I horsed my fish in as much as possible otherwise it would have taken forever. I knew the tackle would hold up. It helped that I use a split ring directly to the JB2 with no snap. Quite a battle.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jPktsMFJoVI
Fran Myers
JB1

Re: Detroit river sturgeon

Post by Fran Myers »

You fighting that big Sturgeon really cracks me up.
Fran Myers
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Brett, Deb and I enjoyed watching you work for that fish. We have hooked up with many of those things and every time we get a big one, that feeling of looking at a fish that might be older than we are is amazing. I know that we snag them but the darn things just won't get out of the way of that bumping lure. My longest is a 67 incher and it took 90 minutes to get it into the boat. That is with the most pressure that I dared to put on it. Those big ones do not like to come off of that bottom. Every time you try and lift them up off the bottom at the beginning of the fight, they take more line off than you gained. It's just another cool fish that happens to get in the way. Nice job on the video. John
Kevin McClure

Post by Kevin McClure »

Nice job Brett. You've got a great voice for narration and I agree with Fran that your fighting that thing was quite funny. Maybe I missed it, but what line were you using....lb. test, etc. Thanks. Kevin
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

Wow! That looked like a lot of fun. Nice fish. That rod has some serious backbone. Nice work and great vid.
brett
100 series

Post by brett »

My heavy non-wire trolling rods are currently 30lb spiderwire flourobraid. I tie my own 17lb seven strand leader with a wire ring on the end that connects to the split ring on the lures.
Kevin McClure

Post by Kevin McClure »

Brett, Thanks for the info on your line size/setup. Kevin