Spoonplug hooks

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Woody

Spoonplug hooks

Post by Woody »

Do any of you guys change the hooks on your spoonplugs???? The ones I have, the hooks seem to be so-so sharp. Are the hooks that come on them good hooks???? Also, when you do change hooks do you change the front hook to a regular treble hook and use a split ring to attach it or go back to the 2 hook style????? Thanks, Woody
Fran Myers
JB1

Re: Spoonplug hooks

Post by Fran Myers »

I do. And so do a lot of others. Your right, it's frustrating to knock a big fish and have the hooks either break or not get a good hold. I figured I wasn't sharpening them correctly but I think for a while the quality of the hooks wasn't good enough for decent sharpening.

I think Scott changed the hooks and they are better NOW, but that doesn't help the ones in your box.
Fran Myers
TN Dave
100 series

Re: Spoonplug hooks

Post by TN Dave »

Woody,

You can replace the hooks on the Spoonplugs with any good hooks...just match the size to the hook that you are replacing. May take a time or two to figure out the correct size. Just make a note.

I like Owner. Gamakatsu. Eagle Claw or VMC are good. On the larger Spoonplugs I find the saltwater type hooks (size) works well. Again, just match the replacement hook to the one being replaced.

I do not replace the belly hook. I have found that the Spoonplug works just as well without it as it does with the belly hook. Other Spoonpluggers will have a different opinion.

TN Dave