SHOW US YOU RIG

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Gary Schiffner

Re: SHOW US YOU RIG

Post by Gary Schiffner »

1973 Boston Whaler, "The Unsinkable Legend", 13' 6", 5' 6" beam, 300 lbs.
25 HP Yamaha 4 stroke, 27.5 mph, that's efficient, quiet, no smoke.
BuTLER Troller

Post by BuTLER Troller »

Nice lookin rig Gary,,,,,,,,,,,lotta room.......
Gary Schiffner

Post by Gary Schiffner »

This actual boat was the hull Jimmy Cronowitz (sp)? of West Penn Boats, wanted to use for the Troller boats way back when. The previous owner was into Spoonplugging way back too, which I didn't know until I picked it up in N. Pittsburg. He also had gone some writting for Fishing Facts magazine. He had given me copies of some of his old articles, most with Buck Perry influence!
BuTLER Troller

Post by BuTLER Troller »

HEY,,,,,,,where is your Spoonplugger Decal!!!??? :lol:
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

SWEEEEEEEEEET RIG GARY
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
whopper Stopper

Post by whopper Stopper »

Gary,,Now, thats MY kind of boat! :D

W/S
Gary Schiffner

Post by Gary Schiffner »

Thanks guys,
I also have another swivel seat that goes in the front. Original Boston Whaler seating is 1" thick mahognay bench seats. I still have those and can have three rows of seating. These boats were WAY ahead of there time and built like tanks. They have cut these boats in three pieces and there all still afloat with a person in each. Also a huge front end loader driving over them when it was flipped over.
Check out www.continouswave.com, this site is all Boston Whaler. I also like the fiberglass interior, no carpet. You can pull the drain plug and only get less than a ½" of water in it, mostly in the back. Even there bigger boats, guys do this to self bail when docked, take off and put the plug back in. Interior and exterior fiberglass, completely filled with foam, rock solid.

Trying to pick up a 16' 6" x 6' 2" hull @ 500 lbs in RI. and put a 60-75 hp tiller on it. It is rated for 100hp!
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Gary, That is a bad %$# rigg. When I was a youngster, I wanted one of those real bad. One day I was fishing lake Wawasee and went past a marina which sold Walers. I went in and got a suprise on the price of those things and knew right then that I would never be lucky enough to own one. I see one that is always on a boat lift here on the St. Joseph river and I look at it wishing it were mine. I'd gut that thing out and make the interior like I wanted it and it would work like a champ. Those things are built well and will stand up to a lot of punishment. Around here you see all the spoilt brat teenagers running around in their daddy's walers. Rich kids. Or a three decker boat going down the Detroit River with a waler as a dingy. What a waste. Nice Boat! John
Gary Schiffner

Post by Gary Schiffner »

John, I agree with the cost of them! Mine had two holes in the keel and a lot of spider crackes and dings in it. A rusty old trailer with flat tires and a 20 HP Mariner on it, which did run. I fixed the hole in the bottom and sprayed some gel coat back on it. It is not perfect by a long shot, but good enough for what I want it to do. I put a new rub rail on it and some lights too. I have my sights on a 16' hull only that needs some screw holes filled from the center console for $900. It also has a compartment in the front, I believe large enough for a live well!

I have been trying to get a hold of you for some "Buddies", let me know what your getting for them!
Thank You!
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

This is my Lowe "Big JON" 1448 MV Jon Boat. I bought it new last year and I am VERY happy that I have it.
9.8 4-stroke Nissan
Vexilar FL-12
It has a Bimini Top
50 Gal Live well

I got the big live well because being a really big guy, I felt I might need some way to ballast the boat forward. I am happy to report that not only do I NOT need the live well for ballast but the boat will even get on plane. I was very worried about buying this boat but I couldn't be happier.

Got to fly
Attachments
Just got this awesome custom cover
Just got this awesome custom cover
DSCN0001-resize.jpg (51.95 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
Vexilar FL-12
Vexilar FL-12
DSCN0003-resize.jpg (118.63 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
From the drivers seat
From the drivers seat
DSCN0002-resize.jpg (64.76 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
From the bow
From the bow
DSCN0004-resize.jpg (93.51 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
From rear left
From rear left
DSCN0006-resize.jpg (85.03 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
Fran Myers
BuTLER Troller

Post by BuTLER Troller »

Fran,,,,,,,how do you like that Vexilar???????

WE NEED TO SEE MORE BOAT PICTURES!!!!!!!!!C'MON SPOONERS!!!!!!IT'S NEAT TO CHECK OUT HOW PEOPLE HAVE RIGGED THEIR BOAT!!!TAKE THE TIME !!!!
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

BuTLER Troller wrote:Fran,,,,,,,how do you like that Vexilar???????
Love understates my feelings.
Fran Myers