What color and size spoon plugs to get??????

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Woody

What color and size spoon plugs to get??????

Post by Woody »

Can you guys suggest to me what sizes and colors might work best at my lake????? The lake that I mainly fish is Lake Wedowee aka R. L. Harris Lake. It is like a Highland lake in the lower 2/3rds of the lake and in the upper part into the rivers it can get shallow on you quick if you don't know where the channel is. The lower part is deep and fairly clear, the upper usually has a good stain to it and of course after a good bit of rain, mud soup. This lake has white bass, spotted bass and largemouth. More spots than largemouth, but a good many heavy stringers are weighed in at tours. each year, 20-30#s. Several 8's and better and one report last year of a largemouth that would have probably been a new state record had it not been released, 16#s plus!!!!!! I know white would work cause white crankbaits do very well here but what else????? Thanks, Scott Woody
spoonpluggergino
200 series

Re: What color and size spoon plugs to get??????

Post by spoonpluggergino »

Woody

It is 1:25 am cannot go back to sleep thinking how to catch that 50+ inch muskie.

As fur as SP sizes you need to follow MR. Buck Perry guidelines start with the first 3 sizes 500, 400, 250 and learn how to troll the shallow once you feel that you are contrible fishing the shallows and you are able to learn the bottom features, like hard bottom ,rocks clean bottom, shell beds etc. etc, in other woords the SP is telling you what is downstairs , and you are able to distinguish whats down there, than start to check the deep water 8 t0 10 feet and deeper. being an upland type of reservoir you will need definetely all size up to 800 and also wire line to fish deeper than 25 feet. As fur as color that is just an aid the deeper you go there will be less light penetration so I would use darker colors to me color is not important, make sure you are using the correct size for the depth of water you are straining or a structure that you want to bump. You must read and understand the GREEN BOOK, that is your bible of fishing. another very important aspect of spoonplugging you must do MAPPING and INTERPRATATION of your maps you draw, with depths and breaklines depths.

Sorry for some of the mispelled words, I have not figured out if this board has a spell check.

Spoonpluggergino
Bart

Post by Bart »

Woody,

If I had my choice of color it would only be 2. Color is for the fisherman not the fish. Use Brass in dingy water and nickel in clear. If you only fish those 2 colors you can't go wrong. Simple rule and it works. Buck taught basics and it doesn't get any more basic than that.
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

My 2 are Yellow and White
Fran Myers
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Scott, there are many variables involved in answering your question, e.g. water color, weather conditions, season, mood of the fish, etc. Conditions are seldom the same and can change while you are on the water. There is no "one size fits all". The key controls are depth and speed. Size, color, and action, etc. are aids.

Size will be dictated by the depth at which you are fishing or find fish.

Buck's guideline for color is,
If conditions are BRIGHT - such as a bright day, clear water - use BRIGHT colors such as silver, white-red, etc. If conditions are DARK - such as a cloudy day or dingy water - go to DARKER lures, such as copper, orange-black.

He further states,
This hand rule will locate fish as far as color is concerned, and if there is, or should be, a color preference, it can be determined only after fish have been located.

My first order from Buck's Baits was a 5-Pak of neutral colors. My suggestion is you do the same; you can't go wrong. Neutral colors, e.g. gold, brass, yellow, are good for either bright or dark conditions. As SpoonpluggerGino said, you need to learn to troll the shallows with the smaller sizes then start to work deeper. If you haven't already done so, buy the "green book", i.e. Spoonplugging: Your Guide to Lunker Catches. I also recommend the Structure Situation Guide. Here's the URL for Buck's Baits http://buckperry.com/ Right now they are running some specials.
whopper Stopper

Post by whopper Stopper »

Woody, As far as white bass goes, I like to troll a multitple rod set up, using lets say for instance, a 400 out 2 colors of line and a 250 out one color of line. You can mix this line length set up different ways to experiment a little. They may hit the spoonplug on a shorter line better, or vice versa. And dont forget,,,,STRUCTURE, SPEED and DEPTH is MOST important. As far a lure COLOR,,,,CHECK IT OUT. On my home lake, White and or silver seems to work best for the white bass,, NOT to say that they wont hit another color because I know that they will. I believe that the more dingy the water is, the less lure color matters, besides,,,,,just how long does a fish have to make up his pea sized brain about one color over another anyway? We're talking about a fast REACTION STRIKE. Mr. Perry said,,,IF a fish does any THINKING,,,its after it goes in the "live well". "Very well stated". I would seriously put more energy into DEPTH and SPEED and not lure color. Grab a color that YOU like, and go with it, But do this,,,,,If you start catching fish,,,have you another rod with the UGLYEST COLOR spoonplug that you can find,,then put it out and troll it the same DEPTH AND SPEED. Ill be willing to bet that you catch fish on it too!

Good fishing, Woody
Whopper Stopper
Woody

Post by Woody »

Thanks for all of the replies, help and info!!!!!
Gary Schiffner

Post by Gary Schiffner »

Woody,

I believe it was Buck who said a fish strike is like a a sleeping dog. He's your best friend
you feed him and take care of him. You step on his tail when he is sleeping ,you will get bit.

He's not looking to see who it is or what color your pants are! It's all a instinctive reaction!

Same with a fish, you run that lure past him, he doesn't hesitate or think about striking it.
MartyMcAvoy
200 series

Post by MartyMcAvoy »

This may sound familiar, but as far as sizes, GET 'EM ALL!! :mrgreen: Learn to use the smaller as directed by the books & here. If U find it is time to go deeper, U will need to have 'em to do so, & the larger, deeper running come w/a proportional tendency to hang, especially as one learns, so losing lures is also part of it, so extras are a must, & a lure retriever is highly recommended! Some will go home if they don't have their retriever. As far as color, Buck Sez, Color ceases to exist beyond 12', that is obviously relative to water color. Use whatever color U have confidence in, the Aid that is Color, is not even close in importance as is Depth & Speed. I believe he also said something about dragging the lure behind the truck to achieve the desired color! Marty 8-)
Knowledge is the Key to Success! Sharing it is Part of that Success! IN~Spoonplugger.