80lb nobo Question

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Bink
800 series

80lb nobo Question

Post by Bink »

I just received my order of spoonplugs and ordered some of the 80lb nobo leader line.
Questions I have
1.Is there a depth curve from running straight 12lb nobo? Being much thicker diameter I would think It may lose some depth.
2.Do the hooks foul on the leader often. I have tried tons of different kinds of leader materials and have had problems with the hooks fouling with just about everyone except a 7 strand wire. Im hoping the 80lb is the answer it would save a lot of time and wear and tear on my fingers making the wire leaders.
3. Will it affect running the smaller plugs (500 400 250). I was thinking of using a short leader when running rip rap where I have had some problems with nicking up my line.

Thanks
Bink
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
John Bales
JB2

Re: 80lb nobo Question

Post by John Bales »

Hi Bink, You will loose some depth with the 80lb no bo. I do not use it when using the smaller lures and no bo. Most of the time when using the 80lb test, I am using the bigger lures so it makes very little difference in the depth lost. Just let out more line. We only use about an 8 to ten inch piece when using the 80lb test anyways. The longer the leader, the more bow and the less depth you get. When fishing the rocky areas of Lake Erie where the zebra muscles seem to be abundant we use a longer leader which seems to help get over the snaggy areas. That make any sense? It seems to help the lure get up and over instead of digging into the muscles. It works for me anyways.
The 80 lb test has caught us a lot of musky's and has kept us from getting bit off when casting where the musky's and northerns are present. I know that Denny never takes his off of his casting rod. It is tough stuff. Good luck. John
Bink
800 series

Re: 80lb nobo Question

Post by Bink »

John,
Thanks for the info sounds great. I agree this stuff is tuff, I can tie the boat up with this stuff.
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish