rod questions

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Woody

rod questions

Post by Woody »

The green book recommends a 4.5' stiff rod for trolling. What do you guys use?????? Was think of a 5' stiff rod. Also what kind of material does the rod need to be made of?????? Thanks!!!!! Woody
John Bales
JB2

Re: rod questions

Post by John Bales »

Woody, I use rods made by Buck's Baits. They are built with the right action for the right feel and they are durable and will last for years. Use the regular action for the smaller lures and the heavy's for the large lures. John
Woody

Post by Woody »

Thanks John!!!!! I got alot of rods and reels already and with the economy like it is and the small amount of $$ that I have I'd like to use something I already have or modify it as needed. Good fishin, Woody
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Woody, It is hard to modify a rod that is used for casting into a trolling rod if you dont know what you are looking to get out of it. I have seen it done and they will work but there are several things to consider. Will it stand up to the stress? Will you cut it off at the right place so you will get the action that you want and good feel. I guess I am spoiled with using Buck's rods for all these years. I will tell you a story back to my first day on the water learning how to troll spoonplugs. We went to a small lake and we trolled with spinning rods and we bought 20lb test mono because we didnt have no bo. After a couple of laps around the lake, my father in law had caught a couple of pike and the second one broke his rod. He said that he had better feel with a broken rod so we had two piece rods and we went to using a half a rod. I had one eye where the two pieces fit together and thats what I used and the feel was better. So now that I think back on it, what ever works is a good thing. You can make something work. If you know another spoonplugger and can look at his equipment, you can get some idea of how you might make one work. Good Luck....... John
beckman44
700 series

Post by beckman44 »

Hi Woody; If you are a little bit handy you can make a good spoonplugging rod for about $50. A few years back I needed another rod but was kinda tight on money. Being that I always wanted to build a rod I figured this would be the time to try. I found that Jann's Netcraft had solid fiberglass blanks for $12. They were 6 ft. long so I could cut them down to the right length. I was also able to get the 13 in. handle kit, and a good quality fuji eye kit. So I built just one first to see how it would work out. After using it for a few weeks I was very pleased with the feel and durability. Since then I have built 2 more. These have been used by friends and brothers who don't have any spoonplugging rods. Needles to say they have put them through alot of abuse. I average getting on the water probably 2 to 3 times a week, so they have been well tested. Now this all being said, I am in no way trying to under cut Bucks Baits and I would first recommend if you have the money to support them, as we do for all our other sponplugging equip. Bill Beck.
Gary Schiffner

Post by Gary Schiffner »

Bill,

Many moons ago, when I first started Spoonplugging, one of the guys in our club had some, I believe they were Carbaloy(sp?) guides. We thought they would be good to keep the wire from cutting into the regular guides, the tip primarily.

So, I stripped down 6 fairly new "Bucks" trolling rods, wrapped the guides, refinished the blanks and put Fuji handles on them. Still using them 30 years later, and the wire has not grooved the tip yet! I ended up building some casting rods and got into all the fancy wrappings. It is a easy and interesting winter time project!

Gary
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Woody,

I have used Buck's Baits rods for years and years. The rods have the feel and durability that give years of good service. In the long run, Buck's Baits rods will save you money...plus you will catch more fish because of the feel the rod gives while trolling.

TN Dave
Woody

Post by Woody »

Thanks Guys!!!! Guess I'll save up and get me one of Buck's rods.
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Woody,

After you get your first Buck's Baits rod and get the feel for it, which will come very quickly. You will, like many of us, buy another couple of rods, one dedicated to wire line, and one with the heavy action blank for big lures in siutation where there are a lot of hangs, deep brush, and for big fish...stripers, etc.

Buck's Baits rods will give you years of service.

TN Dave