Reflection

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Fran Myers
JB1

Reflection

Post by Fran Myers »

Yesterday I wrote an email to some other soonpluggers and I thought I would share some of it here now.

I fished the St Criox River by Afton, Minnesota yesterday and had some little success. Pat Maio made a comment about a Walleye I caught and here is some of the response I gave him:

As to the Walleye being caught,
I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I had a 250 down on wire at 15 to 18 feet trying to contour troll the first distinct break line I could find plus keep a short line. I know contour trolling isn’t the best thing in this situation but it was only the second pass and I was trying to avoid other people so I would go off in the flats or the deep and be real lost until I got back into position.

I don’t know if there was a hump or not but I do know that I was running back and forth over the break line and I was bumping when it took. In fact all fish I have caught to date struck with a bumping lure. I have not knowingly had a fish from a free running spoonplug.

I think my fishing has been good in the straggler sense but not what you would call great for learning what makes a lake tick. I was re-reading some of Bucks old articles and from the reading I guess I am doing all right but it is frustrating.

However I have learned a few things:
1. By changing the reels from Penn 109’s to the Cabelas line counter type, my confidence in what length I need for what depth has really been lost. As soon as I think I know what I need, I am off again. This is a constant battle. “Dump til you bump” sometimes has 180’ out and I know that’s not right.

2. Looking at maps before getting on lakes has been one of the single most important things I have done. With the exception of one lake which was infested with weeds and moss which I left in short order, I have put my finger on every spot I caught fish the night before. Having a plan worked out ALWAYS has paid off.

3. Water Color, Water Color, Water Color, Water Color. Makes the fish come to me.

4. With little (but growing) practical experience, faith in the material is really important. While I may not be able to hit a break line at 30’ on one side of a channel, I know the channel is the home of the fish. Just mechanics have to be perfected. I don’t have to figure where the home of the fish is.

These were just some thoughts I have had. This is my first real season of true spoonplugging. While I have not had 50 bass on 50 consecutive casts or caught 50 muskies in a weekend (although I will get out there soon) I know that practice and experience will get me closer PLUS I really am catching more and bigger fish than I ever have before.

Also whats up with Smallmouth. I caught 4 yesterday and only got 2 to the boat. They strike hard but they seem to have soft mouths. Is this me or what?

Thanks
Fran Myers