Learning from low water levels ?

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
tahogg

Learning from low water levels ?

Post by tahogg »

I am very new to spoonplugging. A good friend Kenny Hyde took me for my first time last May, since then i have been hooked. I was one of thouse pretty color, trolling motor, but seat. casting at the bank guys hoping for a bite and not knowing why i caught a fish when i did.At this time i am in the prossess of reading the home study course for the first time. A thought enterd me head last night reading the lesson over structure, breaks , and breaklines. The lake i have been fishing Chickamauga lake in TN, has winter water levels that drops quite a bit from summer levels. I was wondering if i was to visit the lake at this time of year would i be able to learn valuable information as to the structure of the lake and breaks that may be on thouse structures leading to the deep waters. Any sugestions would be appriciated.
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: Learning from low water levels ?

Post by Steve Craig »

tahogg,
First welcome to the board and the world of Spoonplugging.

Yes, you should ride around your lake and "map" it at the low water levels. This is wisdom. You should draw a picture of each structure situation you find, noting breaklines, breaks, drop offs etc. You can actually move rocks etc into position(pile up a few if need be) or you can remove a bad hang situation if need be. Make sure you take your shoreline sightings for anchor positions, as well as rifle sightings for a trolling passes to hit a breakline. Doing all of this ahead of time will greatly speed up your learning curve. Once you got it on paper, you got it! Then when the lake refills, simply go out and work(fish) them.
Also, I believe there is a Spoonplugging Club in your area. Mr Hyde can help you with the whens and wheres. Join it! Get to know those guys.
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Gary Schiffner

Post by Gary Schiffner »

How far down does Chickamauga get? I went past Nickajack Tuesday, and didn't notice it being lower than normal. The lower a like is dropped, the better to see the structures, take your camera with you or GPS for future reference!

You have been in the boat with one of the best!
spnplgrkenny

Post by spnplgrkenny »

Unfortunately we have had high water levels on chicamauga for the most of 2009. Even the winter levels have been high, with the flood gates open a big part of the time. But those conditions make the smallmouth much easier to locate in the tailrace. But chicamauga drops so little in the winter under normal conditions, dry lake bed mapping is very difficult to say the least.
However there is Douglas lake 140 miles north of here that goes back every winter to the old river channel. Mr. perry filmed many dry lake bed situations on douglas. As a matter of fact Wayne and I are planning a day trip soon to Douglas to take pictures for training purposes for all who wish to see them and greatly benefit from them. It is unbelieveable what is exposed there. It looks like the drawing on front of the green book. Great stuff!!!. I will give all chattanooga spoonpluggers heads up on our exact date. You dont want to miss this trip if at all possible.

I will try to post the pictures on the forum for everyone to benefit from and enjoy.

And Tim, as frank Hammill told John Bales many years ago," Boy you have got that fire in your eyes." It is so exciting to see a young man or woman to be introduced to spoonplugging and realize what a goldmine of factual fishing knowledge from Mr. Perry that is laid out for you to absorb.
And the great things about Mr. Perrys teachings is that it is universal. It covers all lake types, all situations.
You will find Tim that the nations spoonpluggers are pretty much one big family.
Your friend and fishing partner, Kenny
tahogg

Post by tahogg »

Thanks for the feedback Kenny, and count me in on the trip to Douglas Lake.
tahogg

Post by tahogg »

Also, Kenny, thanks for the Two fish on my profile pic look familiar ?
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

Where is Tahogg he still spoonplugging?
David Powell