Reel Service

Looking to BUY,SELL or TRADE any of your fishing equipment? Post it here.
Fran Myers
JB1

Reel Service

Post by Fran Myers »

Hey Guys,
Just before Christmas I sent all the reels I use for trolling to Kevin Rush's Professional Reel Service.
Not only does Kevin do the normal clean, lube, and repair of reel, he also will upgrade parts to make the reels better than new (if you want). I sent 5 Penn 965's, 4 Penn 109's, and a big Okuma saltwater spinning reel I captured while trolling. I also sent 4 brand new looking Cabelas brand Line counters - but these turned out to be trashed so I had Kevin dispose of them.

The Penn 965's were completely cleaned and the bearings changed to the top of the line ceramic bearings . They are smoother than I EVER thought possible.

The Penn 109's, most of which were rebuilt by Penn a couple of years ago, were found to be packed with grease incorrectly. So new graphite drags were installed, and the bearings packed with grease properly. Kevin said the 109's, once the drags loosen up with a little use will work better than new.

Now Kevin's website mostly talks about increasing casting distance and stuff, I figured our reels take a real pounding with the trolling we do so I think these improvements are well worth it. When I stripped the line off the reels the last two layers of backing was melted together! So anything that eases heat and friction must be good for use.

Kevin also uses some modern greases that will really make a difference. Check him out at http://www.proreelservice.com/

PS...
I just wanted to add that Kevin balances the reels too. So you will notice a huge difference even if you know what the reel felt like when it was new.
Fran Myers
TPD
250 series

Re: Reel Service

Post by TPD »

Fran,
Good information. I have a reel I tried to clean and lube up, but it still didn't work properly. I wasn't ready to give up on it.
spnplgrkenny

Post by spnplgrkenny »

Thanks Fran, I really appreciate you sharing the information on reel service. Those guys dont seem to be easy to find. I am really rough on fishing reels. For the amount of heavy use I put on a fishing reel, I dont administer any maintenance to my reels like I should. I really do not have mechanical skills, so all of my old reels hang on my garage walls.
Thanks buddy, Kenny
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

Kenny, even with the primo ceramic bearings the cost wasn't that out of hand I spent about $40 bucks each for the 965's. The 109's were about $25 (no ceramic bearings) and they are smooth as a babies bottom. I know that a lot of peoples reels sound like coffee grinders so a few bucks a year or couple of years isn't such a bad investment.
Fran Myers
SlParker

Post by SlParker »

Fran, thanks for posting the website for reel service, I also have some reels to send for service.....

Kenny, who did you borrow those bass from to show in your picture?..... just kidding.... I know...... glad to see you posting these days. Lookin forward to this new year to spending some time pluggin in Tenn.

Steve
spnplgrkenny

Post by spnplgrkenny »

Hey Steve, I actually borrowed those fish from Mr. Buck Perry as well as many of his students that were nice enough to teach me that great thing called Spoonplugging. I still love being a student.
Sure hope you get to make it to Chicamauga this year. Thinking about showing up in your area this year. Do you know any good guides?. Your brother spoonplugger, Kenny
Gary Schiffner

Post by Gary Schiffner »

Fran,

Like wise, a good reel repair is hard to find. My wife (bless her heart), picked up a bunch of crank baits and 5 or 6 Ambassedeur reels for me a few years back at a yard sale! They all need some service and I don't know who to trust!

Thanks, you solved my problem!
Gary