Cold Water Trolling

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
beckman44
700 series

Cold Water Trolling

Post by beckman44 »

I have a few days to fish in the next week and thought I would try for muskies before the season ends. My question is with the water getting colder and never having trolled spoonplugs this late in the season before am I better off going to live bait, or can I still trigger them by bumping bottom on fast dropping structure or deep humps. The water has turned over and is clear. Any advice from fellow spoonpluggers?? Thanks, Beckman44.
spoonpluggergino
200 series

Cold water trolling

Post by spoonpluggergino »

Beckman44

You are in one of the best area for fishing cold water trolling. Waubesa has been very hot this last week end fellows spoonplugger CPR 43,45,48,36. I fished Monona looking for a 50 incher, I lost one fish over 40 and I caugth one 32 inch 35 feet down from a rock bar finger. do not stop fishing now is the best time of the year, the speed will be on the slow side, but check all speeds and depth from the shallow to the deep. If you go to Waubesa there will be othe spoonpluggers, if you go to Monona and you see a white Yar-Craft 20 foot boat with a 150 Yamaha tiller stop and say hellow

Gino Testone
pat maio

Post by pat maio »

S/P G:
I once asked Buck the same question.
His reply: It is never too cold for trolling but you must remember that there will probably be only one short movement.
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

You can catch the muskies when there is a rim of ice around the lake. When the ice comes on and if you could cut a long chunk of ice out with a chain saw for the right trolling pass. you could still catch them. John
beckman44
700 series

Cold Water Trolling

Post by beckman44 »

Thanks guys, Spoonplugging up until ice up. What a beautiful thing. Now all I want for Christmas is a late freeze up, and more spoonplugs. Putting the boat away for the winter is overrated anyway!!! Beckman44.