Line Counters

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Fran Myers
JB1

Line Counters

Post by Fran Myers »

Have any of you guys had any success with the small line counters that you attach to the rod?

I don't want to give up my Penn 109's but I do sometimes forget the layers or wind up having to reel in all the way when I need to pull in a little line for for changing break lines.

Also will the wire work with them?

Thanks
Fran
Fran Myers
randy

line counters

Post by randy »

fran: i use the smaller reels with the line counters built into them. they work real well with wire too know excatly where you are at. find a clean sand bottom lake and let out just enough line too tip the bottom of the lake with each size lure and then check how much line you have out write it down and and soon you will use wire line with no guess work. sometimes you only need a few feet of line either way in or out too be right on the money with no guess work of how much you have out and most of the smaller linecounter reels are heavy enough too last for years. : randy
WMK

Post by WMK »

Randy,

Some good points about "exactness", where line counting reels are concerned.
Personally, I'm in the process of transitioning from the P.109 and have already spooled up an Ambassadeur 5000. I purchased it from Walmart for $39, and am looking forward to trying it out. My next purchase for a replacement to the P.109 will be a line counter reel. The advantages of telling your fishing partner (especially your wife) exactly what "count" to look for, regardless of available line capacity, is in itself significant.

Fran,
I know what you mean about favoring a certain reel - P.109, as I have for years. As for a line-counter mechanism that's independent of the reel, I think your mention of this unit having satisfactory wire line function is legitimate. Also, what about connected lines that may run through, those used as backing? Perhaps I'm not understanding how a seperate line counter unit works though, so I'll also wait to hear from someone who would know for sure.

Walt
pat maio

counter reels

Post by pat maio »

I just bought one for my grandaughter who I intend to introduce into spoonplugging this year (Daiwa). She is 8 years old and normaly one might consider that a little young and perhaps it is. But, she has an exceptional inquisitive mind, what she sees she retains so I'm curious as to what will happen. I'd be less than honest if I didn't admit that this way I'll find out the merit of these reels myself :?
My first impression of reel on rod was as someone else mentioned, it feels a little cumbersome and the durability is yet to be determined. Maybe it just takes a bit of getting used to. Fishing season here opens May first for walleye & northern.
Walt:
My wife's opinion will definitely count also. She's gotten pretty good over the years on depth control with the Penn reels even though we have not been actively fishing for a dozen or so years. I also picked up a new Penn that has minor improvements over the old ones. Look forward to runnning some practices tests.
Ideally, I guess, it would be great if there was a line counter built into those durable Penn reels. Maybe they will.............pat

P.S. Any opinions on those new long handle rods :?:
jjen

Post by jjen »

I have been using a Daiwa SG27LC for a number of years now and like it very much. What I like about it is, I can retrieve some line and not get confused as to how much line I have out. About two years ago I bought another counter reel from Bass Pro Shop to make it easier on any partner that fishes with me. Most people that I take fishing are not equipped to troll. Recently I bought two more counter reels from Cabela's that I have installed wire on. I feel that the counter reels will give me more precise control over the wire. This should make it easier on my fishing partners as well when using wire. I am converted.
WMK

Post by WMK »

jjen,

A very convincing post, and thanks for that specific information!

Walt
Fran Myers
JB1

Line Counter Reels

Post by Fran Myers »

I had a bit of a troubled day.
Get my Penn 109's rebuilt for the season or buy new reels.
I hadn't used them in a long time and they need some work.

So after calling Penn to get a quote, I bought 4 Cabelas Goldmaster II Trolling reels with the built-in line counter.

So if anyone wants about 15 Penn 109's in various states let me know. However my green one isn't forsale.

Going to get my new boat next week so maybe I can get on the Mississippi a bit earlier too.

Night
Fran
Fran Myers
tennesse tuxedo

line counters

Post by tennesse tuxedo »

When I started spoonplugging I used the penn 109 for only a short time. I was lucky enough to get a seat on mike zaborny's boat and he let me try out one of his diawa lc's, model 27, the good one the goes for about 90 bucks. I was sold, the drag is smooth and is designed to hold up for a long time. I went and bought one right away and never looked back, and haven't used a 109 since. I own garcia 5000's, 5500's, 6000's and their great reels but I still prefer the sealine the trolling even though it is a little heavier. I've heard the digital line counters reels don't hold up ( the line counter part). Diawa makes a model 17 which is lighter than the 27 and the next trolling reel I buy will be one of those, the 27 is just a little overkill for most spoonplugging in my opinion.
pat maio

Penn reel repair

Post by pat maio »

In the spring I called Penn and got a quote on repairing/cleaning 8 reels that I hadn't used in many years. The price was high enough to force me to buy new reels. I tried Cabelas "Salt Striker" trolling reel and found it satisfactory but my curiosity after reading comments on this board pushed me into buying Cabelas line counters, Sealine line counter, the smaller one. So far so good.
The Salt Striker reels went for about 80 bucks each and were used once. High retrive ratio and not too heavy. Anyone want 2 (one with no bo and one with wire) for 100 buck? Box and instructions included. You can find them in the catalog.