This is the way it is

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
John Bales
JB2

This is the way it is

Post by John Bales »

Had a phone call from a guy who wants me to take him out and show him where the walleye are in a couple of lakes. After a bit of conversation, I told him that there is a reason he is having trouble catching them. This may seem harsh but the truth is the best way to go. I told him that he had never spent enough time doing what the green book explained for him to do. So he and many others have a difficult time trying to interpret a fishing situation. Mapping and interpretation is the start to fishing success. With a persons time on the water, things like weather and water, depth and speeds and other important parts of what is needed will expand that persons knowledge to where it needs to be. Being able to map any structure is the most important knowledge there is. If you and I do not know what is there, no matter how we decide to work it, there is little chance of doing it right or spending our time where we have the best chance to catch a fish. Over and over , the mapping and interpretation keeps popping into my mind as the most important part of anyone's success. A big part of my season is spent spot locked casting to a known spot that has been productive for many years. Most are the size of a kitchen table. John
MuskyAddict
200 series

Re: This is the way it is

Post by MuskyAddict »

One thing that was reinforced over and over again last season while I was trying to map a structure is that contour lines on our map chips do an okay job of showing us the general vicinity of structure but are often not Ben close to accurately showing the breaks, breaklines, and drop-offs. And I could see that trying to map with a Ranger aircraft carrier. I can’t wait to map and interpret this year with a true spoonplugging boat.
Ken Smith, Minnesota

"If you asked me what I thought was the most important thing we have to master in becoming a great fisherman, I'd have to say it is in our ability to "interpret" the fishing situation"
-Buck Perry
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

USS Ranger CVA-61. Third Forrestal-class carrier.
Hal Standish
700 series

Post by Hal Standish »

John Bales wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:49 pm Had a phone call from a guy who wants me to take him out and show him where the walleye are in a couple of lakes. After a bit of conversation, I told him that there is a reason he is having trouble catching them. This may seem harsh but the truth is the best way to go. I told him that he had never spent enough time doing what the green book explained for him to do. So he and many others have a difficult time trying to interpret a fishing situation. Mapping and interpretation is the start to fishing success. With a persons time on the water, things like weather and water, depth and speeds and other important parts of what is needed will expand that persons knowledge to where it needs to be. Being able to map any structure is the most important knowledge there is. If you and I do not know what is there, no matter how we decide to work it, there is little chance of doing it right or spending our time where we have the best chance to catch a fish. Over and over , the mapping and interpretation keeps popping into my mind as the most important part of anyone's success. A big part of my season is spent spot locked casting to a known spot that has been productive for many years. Most are the size of a kitchen table. John
JB made sure the first and only time we were in a trolling situation on Pleasant lake Till this day I can still hit that kitchen table size piece of structure on two different areas of the lake and still catch bass or pike the shore line sightings work like a charm. It was a great learning day for sure.

Hal
Thank-You ! Buck Perry
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Hal, Have shown a lot of different fishermen the same thing I did for you. It gives me great pleasure not only that a student listens but my biggest joy comes when I see a person expend good effort into the learning. That effort always brings success, something that is lacking with many. You cannot make a person do something that they don't want to do. That motivation must come within one's self. John
Hal Standish
700 series

Post by Hal Standish »

John Bales wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:12 am Hal, Have shown a lot of different fishermen the same thing I did for you. It gives me great pleasure not only that a student listens but my biggest joy comes when I see a person expend good effort into the learning. That effort always brings success, something that is lacking with many. You cannot make a person do something that they don't want to do. That motivation must come within one's self. John
THank-you John Bales!

hal
Thank-You ! Buck Perry