Jump Type Lures

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
beckman44
700 series

Jump Type Lures

Post by beckman44 »

For several years I have used jigs or spoons for my jump type baits. I have noticed that several of you guys like to use 3/4 ounce or more blade baits. My question is how do you fish them? Do you hop them like a jig or do you reel them along the bottom? Beckman 44.
John Bales
JB2

Jump lures

Post by John Bales »

All jump lures should be jumped a distance and then let go back to the bottom. The amount of weight(a jig,a jigging spoon,or a silver buddy) desired for that particular time should be chosen by the depth that the fish are, the conditions (snaggy bottom, clean,mossy,weedy and so on) and the activity of the fish(doing nothing,doing a little,or active and moving.
The deeper the fish are, the heavier you need to go on your lure choice. The more active the fish are, the heavier you want your lure. That is if you cannot cast a spoonplug in the first place. If the fish are active and you can cast a spoonplug, that should be your number one choice. If not then a jig, a jigging spoon or a buddy is all that you need for jump type lures.
Why do we like the buddies the best? They offer a little better speed control than a jig has to offer. They wiggle when you jump them and it lets you know right away if you are fouled with debree. A buddy is the best jump type lure that is out there. You can buy a mold and make your own and you wont get mad when you lose one or two or ten. They do find snags rather quickly. Thats just part of the game anyways.
They offer good control when a jump type lure is called for. John