CONTACT POINT

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
MuskyAddict
200 series

Re: CONTACT POINT

Post by MuskyAddict »

I witnessed my first migration today (or at least with the knowledge of what was going on). I was on the water working the same bar from 6:00 AM to 10:15. At 9:15 I landed a 4lb LM on the top of the main breakline at 14’ - where it drops into 30’. I looked up and a boat beating the bank landed a small bass. I looked over at the flotilla of walleye guys on the next point over and 3 of the 5 boats suddenly had guys standing and netting fish. It was an incredible moment to see and to know what was going on. Unfortunately, it didn’t last long. I assume there were active fish or a school in deeper water for a longer period of time but I’m trying to stay disciplined and fish 15’ or less. The weeds went to 9.5’ and the water clarity was 5’. The bottom was a mix of sand and muck. I couldn’t really find a transition line. It seemed to be haphazard. Even the birds seemed to be scattered around the structure. I stopped on top of the main point in 8’ of water to fan cast toward the deep. I threw a jig with soft plastic and a blade jig. I felt little nibblers that I assumed were perch or bluegill but no predators.

Lesson learned: Don’t go chasing other spots until I spend enough time on one to know if it’s productive.

Ken
Ken Smith, Minnesota

"If you asked me what I thought was the most important thing we have to master in becoming a great fisherman, I'd have to say it is in our ability to "interpret" the fishing situation"
-Buck Perry