Water color

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
MuskyAddict
200 series

Water color

Post by MuskyAddict »

I’m reading volume 4 of the study guides: weather & water. Under Buck Sez”, page 41 - Buck is answering a question regarding where a vacationer should concentrate his/her efforts on a natural lake. He suggests that a first choice would be a “chain” of lakes “where the color becomes progressively better as you move downstream”. My reading and my experience (Minnesota) indicates that the darker water tends to be in the headwaters; and the clearer water tends to be downstream toward dams or outflow steams. Why does Buck like the water downstream? What am I missing? On Lake Minnetonka, Vermilion, Pokegema - the darker (yellow/green) waters are in the upper lake/ river inlets.

Any thoughts?

Ken
Ken Smith, Minnesota

"If you asked me what I thought was the most important thing we have to master in becoming a great fisherman, I'd have to say it is in our ability to "interpret" the fishing situation"
-Buck Perry
John Bales
JB2

Re: Water color

Post by John Bales »

Thats usually the way it is. I do not have an answer to this one. John
MuskyAddict
200 series

Post by MuskyAddict »

Me neither. I thought at first perhaps it had to do with mud. But, the northern natural lakes don’t have to deal with that as much. Then I thought about algae blooms. Hopefully that won’t be on the quiz. 😂
Ken Smith, Minnesota

"If you asked me what I thought was the most important thing we have to master in becoming a great fisherman, I'd have to say it is in our ability to "interpret" the fishing situation"
-Buck Perry
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

The guy was never wrong about anything to do with fishing. In all my years, he was always right. John
MuskyAddict
200 series

Post by MuskyAddict »

I trust that. I look forward to finding out what he meant.
Ken Smith, Minnesota

-Buck Perry