Interpretation: Harrison Bay, Minnetonka

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
MuskyAddict
200 series

Interpretation: Harrison Bay, Minnetonka

Post by MuskyAddict »

Okay, here is my first shot at interpretation of a bay close to where I launch my boat. I hope the pic comes thru. I appreciate any coaching on my thoughts or comments on anything I’m missing or interpreting incorrectly.

Ken

Characteristics:
- dirtier water compared to majority of lake
- deepest water @ 28’
- shoreline full of houses and docks

(A)
- longest narrowest bar
- breaks at 9-11’
- another finger that breaks from 16-17’
- relatively long sloping from there to deep water

((B)
- steep bank to 12’
- finger @14’
- drop off from 18-25’

(C)
- large 3 sided bar
- break line from 5-12’
- gradual slope to deep water from there

Procedure:
1. Use my sonar to map the bottom of each structure, especially looking for breaks in the flats that would provide a “highway” for the fish migration to the shallows.
2. Troll the shallows working thru the 500, 400 and 250 on each of these structures to see where I contact fish.
3. Cast any area (fan cast) where I make contact to see if it’s a straggler or if other fish are in the area.
4. If a school is contacted, anchor the boat in shallow and cast to deeper water (250 or 200) as long as the fish are present.
Attachments
A93479A7-0C1F-4BB2-9BE9-10B7AC1A58C5.jpeg
A93479A7-0C1F-4BB2-9BE9-10B7AC1A58C5.jpeg (579.58 KiB) Viewed 19561 times
Ken Smith, Minnesota

"If you asked me what I thought was the most important thing we have to master in becoming a great fisherman, I'd have to say it is in our ability to "interpret" the fishing situation"
-Buck Perry
tdub77
400 series

Re: Interpretation: Harrison Bay, Minnetonka

Post by tdub77 »

Do you fish Minnetonka a lot? I make it our there a few times a year but I have never fished at Harrison Bay. I would contour troll with a 250 on the weedline (assuming there is one) and by doing that you will see if there is any fish on the weedline and also what kind of structure is really there. From navionics webpage I would think Spot A is almost so gradual that it maybe hard to id anything as far as sharper drops that define it. I would be looking for bottom changes as far as hard spots.

Spot B looks like there may be sharper break happening from 8-10 to around 14' but then it flattens out and gets real gradual again. I would also be looking for bottom changes but with it being so flat I don't know if the fish would use it or get shallow enough to use it, maybe on a perfect day in august.

Spot C the drop off looks to go to about 16-17'. That's better depth that the other two spots but still not great. My experience tonka is tough. Ask John Bales, I believe he fished it a few years back and had to work to get anything going and he is one of the best. I will check it out though once the water gets softer.

Tim
Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

R U picking Harrison bay because its close to where u live or just a mapping exercise. Cause I gotta say much better looking bays to be fishing on that lake.
David Powell
TN_Explorer
250 series

Post by TN_Explorer »

CHAMP wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:19 am R U picking Harrison bay because its close to where u live or just a mapping exercise. Cause I gotta say much better looking bays to be fishing on that lake.
8-)
harrison bay.jpg
harrison bay.jpg (15.52 KiB) Viewed 19491 times
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

You forgot to mention one of the most important observations and that would be the depth of the weedline. How deep do the weeds grow in this section? The question is............ can you run the first three sizes , bump the bottoms and begin to learn. If not, then you have picked the wrong area to begin your work. I already directed you to the best water color lakes in that chain for you to have a chance to become good at this. With a steering wheel, you already have limitations. So .........what depth is the base of the weedline where you have chosen to start? John
MuskyAddict
200 series

Post by MuskyAddict »

Thanks gentlemen,
Yes, I primarily fish Minnetonka. My boat sits at a marina on West Arm. I picked Harrison because it is close to my marina, the water color is good and it’s quieter from boat traffic. The main exercise was to look at a map and decide how I want to fish the structure and learn the bottom. John Bales previously suggested West Arm, Harrison and Jennings as a place to start my learning. I picked Harrison for the exercise and I thought it would be a great place to begin. John, my recollection from last year is that the weeds come out to 5’in early season and ~10’ later in the season. Last year I fished in there a few times - of course, beating the banks at the reeds. I caught a few small bass (which now I assume we’re stragglers) but I recall the bottom was sandy in those spots I fished.
Ken Smith, Minnesota

"If you asked me what I thought was the most important thing we have to master in becoming a great fisherman, I'd have to say it is in our ability to "interpret" the fishing situation"
-Buck Perry