reservior

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
CHAMP
700 series

reservior

Post by CHAMP »

What classification is this reservoir?
Screenshot 2020-11-10 082401.jpg
Screenshot 2020-11-10 082401.jpg (302.16 KiB) Viewed 4303 times
David Powell
site admin
Site Admin

Re: reservior

Post by site admin »

Deep flatland.
Most of the shoreline bars are short (don't extend to the channel) , deep water basin is flat.
Google earth shows this as really good water color.
Soo many lakes.. such little time. Wish I could fish everyone...
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

I think if I were to pick 3 places to fish this lake from an entire year for seasonal and daily structures these would be my 3 places.
Anyone have any others or just think I'm loco let me know.
I agree on your choice tks site admin
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (334.23 KiB) Viewed 4273 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (444.41 KiB) Viewed 4273 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (139.87 KiB) Viewed 4273 times
David Powell
TN_Explorer
250 series

Post by TN_Explorer »

Champ, I am most definitely a novice, so I am asking as much as commenting. I like the first two selections as they look like they go from shallow to deep; the 3rd one would not have excited me. I know - riprap; but on the right side it looks shallow. Would the fish migrate across to the riprap in this situation? I modified your selection a little to include the left side of the riprap and the finger that goes to deeper water. I am really interested in this interpretation exercise.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (141.65 KiB) Viewed 4255 times
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

Ok heres my interpretation 1st pic.
WE can all see the deep steep shoreline/cold season.
The narrow cove is where these bass should spawn.
The 2 sided bar is what they will use after spawn, that could be dynamite last 2 weeks of may to bout middle july. After that you will still pickup 1 now and then. Better be there at 1st lite,but nothing is set in stone.
3.jpg
3.jpg (334.23 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
Pic 2 Steep banks, cold season Should start checking these after 1st big frost.
Spawn will be coves relating to steep shore, the little rounded bar could be real good prespawn,and the 1 to left of cove. After spawn the long bar should get good,as we aproach hotter summer months the hump should start producing. I would also check the deep breaklines to top left.
4.jpg
4.jpg (298.14 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
Pic 3 I think is the best
We have river channel right on bank for cold season.
Spawn has several coves tied to channel.
After spawn we have the causeway which crosses channel as well as what I think is the old roadbed going all way to channel/plus some bass will use rip rap b4 spawn/starting in feburary.
1.jpg
1.jpg (389.67 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
IT WOULD REALLY BE GREAT IF WE COULD GET DON DICKSON DOING A LAKE BREAKDOWN LIKE THIS ONCE A WEEK.
David Powell
TN_Explorer
250 series

Post by TN_Explorer »

I like looking at the "lake of the week" discussions and agree with you it is a great exercise. Thank you for the pointers.
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

I have never been good at figuring out exact lake types. Flatland, lowland and Highland works for me. This type 1 whatever type 3, I don't need to be able to figure that out. As far as picking out the best areas for the time of year, if you were near the reservoir, it would take from an hour to maybe several hours to get on the water and interpret each area and fish it and only then will you know the final answers. Discussions are fantastic on the structures, I like that but the final deal is up to the fisherman. Get out there and get it done. It can't take that long. Like Jerry said, Mr. Perry said it usually took him 4 days to break it completely down and find the fish. For us abnormal people, longer for sure. I would love to have this place in my back yard for sure. Good luck with Don Dixon. He is not one of us, never has been and never will. Anyone who ever got his attention was paying him at the time. Over the years, you never saw him at an outing, rarely saw him on this site to offer help, he is not one of us. He is a great spoonplugger and teacher, just not one of the guys. Now go ahead and beat me up. John
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

Not sure who would beat you up but surely will not be me . Couple reasons, no need for to ,plus I'm just to damn old.
As far as Dixon you most likely right on the money.
As far as my map pic just above water speculation ,as you say you gotta go there and get to work on the water.
I really wish it were closer to me its bout 3 hr drive .
David Powell
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Three hours is a ways. Lake Erie and St. Clair is about the same for me but both are surrounded by Detroit and with all the crap going on, I like it right here on my little lakes where I feel safe. I am having a great learning year and still have a good month or so before ice up. Some of the lakes I want to fish before ice up have big numbers of smaller fish but they are so much fun, I have to include them. Our water temps went from 48 back up to 54 with the warm weather last week but the warm and still and sunny days really suck. Woke up today with frost and fog and below freezing so in a few days, might start going to the big numbers lakes and not so many bigger fish. You know when you put the boat in that if we get one four pounder out of 100 bass, we will be lucky but I really like catching a bunch of fish also. We fish deeper and use light line and the trd and blades and these lakes are a ball. Want to take Deb to one of these before it gets too cold for her to enjoy the catching. I finished my article for the national about how changing lakes to the best color made a bad thing into a good thing and included one of the maps with way points to show where the fish were caught. Its all in the book but information coming from a non genius lets the rest know they can do it too. Take Care.John
Jim Shell
Site Admin

Post by Jim Shell »

3 hours away... For me that would be CLOSE! :lol: I'd be there all the time if it was only 3 hour drive!
Love fishing new reservoirs. I'll be making an (epic, I hope), trip Thanksgiving week. Going to fish several reservoirs down south, starting on Grenada.
Grenada has a lot of spoonplugging history. In his later years Buck would fish there thanksgiving week also. This is the reservoir that he had Don Dickson fish the dam rip rap (without a depth finder) for 2 straight days, to teach him to troll only on "feel". Can't wait to get down there.
“The day you become selfish in your fishing is the day your fishing growth stops” – Buck Perry
https://www.youtube.com/user/spnplg1
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

man i want to go to grenada also its on my list to fish. its hard to drive by good lakes that take only 1/2 that time.
I will be in florida 11/20 - 11/25 trying to get double digit bass
David Powell