Fall movements

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
site admin
Site Admin

Fall movements

Post by site admin »

As we have all read in Buck's materials, he says the migrations in the fall can be SHALLOWER than the spring.
I personally have not experienced this yet (probably because I rarely fish for bass in the fall), but I know others (Like Bale's) have had success and have experienced these shallow migrations in the fall. Don Dickson just posted this on his facebook page, thought I'd share it here and get some discussion going!

Don Dickson: "Some of the shallowest movements of big fish occur during the month of November! Here’s why: First, the angle of the sun to the earth is less severe at this time of year. Second, and most importantly, the cold nights trigger convection currents in our lakes. When the top layer of water cools, it sinks, because cold water is heavier than warm water. Once this occurs, a new layer of warm water takes its place. This action continues during the late fall until such time as the water is the same temperature top to bottom. This creates a very stable condition for the fish and consequently allows for some of the best bass fishing of the year! Simply put, November is my favorite month of the year for catching Hawg Bass!!!".
John Bales
JB2

Re: Fall movements

Post by John Bales »

Been doing this for years. Nothing new here. You cannot rule out checking the shallows for sure but it does not happen often. When it is not going well in the deeper stuff, I make an attempt to check it. A quick check and if not there, back to the normal stuff. Sorry to say that most do not see either shallow or deep movements because most are not fishing this time of year. See many fishing reports out there? It's a normal thing. Thanks for the post Jim. I was out today and caught 11 with three 3 pounders. Worked really hard for them. Only 4 yesterday with one fish close to 3lbs. Everything coming on the troll. Taking tomorrow off for a shot at the hospital for tiller shoulder. Thanks Jim. John
charliesm48

Post by charliesm48 »

"Tiller shoulder" John? I love it! :razz: Oh, the joys of senior citizen fishing. I have "musky jigging" shoulder. In spite of our advancing years, we're still in the chase, and that counts for something. Heading out shortly to do it again
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Hi Charlie, Yes we are still in the chase. Talked to O'malley for two hours last night listening to the same stories I always hear from him but your realize his love for Mr. Perry and the many highlights he has had from spoonplugging. He came along at the right time when most of the lakes were loaded with fish. When it comes to the chase, there are many spoonpluggers that are tough as nails and have a stick to it mental attitude that is amazing. The aches and pains have surely been worth the outcome. We are very lucky that Mr. Perry left his knowledge to those who want to make something of themselves as a fisherman. The more I learn, the more I realize his efforts and genus. Catch a big one and if you want to make the news, eat him for supper. :)John