people

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
CHAMP
700 series

people

Post by CHAMP »

I've been looking back at some of the old post and have to wonder .Where have all the guys gone too, so many that seem to be no longer participating .
I'm assuming that since I cannot click on their name that they must be gone.
David Powell
site admin
Site Admin

Re: people

Post by site admin »

I did a recent purge, eliminated users that have not logged in since 2015!
I believe there are 278 users, and your right, only 30 to 50 that are active to somewhat active.
The forum started in 2005, 15 years ago! All I can say is there are not many Buck Perry disciples left! Seems that 'spoonplugging' peaked in popularity during the 60's & 70's, and has been on a sharp decline since then. Lord knows I have tried to keep this going, but I'm getting to the point I don't give a shit anymore. A few bad apples can spoil the barrel. I was one of the first (if not the first) here to talk about spot lock when it came out 9 years ago. I received a few negative comments here about using this new technology. Now those individuals that talked negative about it are now praising it. Same exact thing when I reported on the new mapping (quick draw) technology. I received a BIG tongue lashing from one individual about using it. Fast forward several years, now that individual is using it. Spoonplugging basics will NEVER change, but nothing wrong with using these new "aids" (properly) to help us.

But getting back to where have all the people gone...
I hate to say, but a good % are deceased or no longer fish due to their age. (one of my favorites on the board from years ago was Douglas (the lone fisherman) Bush.) And the vast majority are casual "spoonpluggers" that don't participate on a regular basis. And many more that are lurkers (read most of the posts but never participate/contribute). We have been dwindling in numbers and hate to say I think that will continue.

Glad to see Don Dickson is back. He has his YouTube channel for just over 2 years now and I'm very surprised at the lack of subs he has. Looking at his comments, I'm guessing the vast majority are old timers and not many "new" folks taking an interest in this lost Jedi art. Only a handful of jedi masters left, and hardly any padawans! I've had conversations with several about getting younger people involved, but it's a different game out there today. Spoonplugging knowledge is not appealing to new anglers. Don't see any way of changing that.
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

I was one of the first (if not the first) here to talk about spot lock when it came out 9 years ago. I received a few negative comments here about using this new technology.
Yea just installed the ultex on my boat anyone that don't love that just plain crazy!
Yea ole Doug Bush was sure a pistol.
Me I still study the books, watch Don Dickson, enjoy your videos, and any thing else spoonplugging.
I've tried to get people in most will buy the study course and never finish it . I cannot understand that.
But look at how few went to the outing.
David Powell
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Jim, Many of us have bled our guts out for years trying to share what we know to those that will listen. There have never been more than a hand full that not only will listen but actually make something of themselves. We all know that if we did not take the time to read the study material, we would have had no chance for success. Is it hard? Does it take a physical effort? A bit of mental focus maybe. Can you maintain that focus of what needs to be done for 8-10 hours? Some can make the effort, some do not. Do you have the time in your life that allows a person to be on the water? Let's face it, life is a lot tougher to raise a family and life may not allow a person to have that time. But.......... how bad do you want it? That will decide who sticks with it. I found out a long time ago that you cannot make a person do something he doesn't want to do. If you get depressed because you feel there are not enough people that want this, put yourself in Mr. Perry's shoes. We cannot imagine how many times he spilled his guts out only to be rejected. I would bet you anything that the few of us that have tried to keep this thing going are the same people who motivated Mr. Perry not to throw in the towel. Both Don Dixon and Terry O'malley when they stopped teaching became unreachable because they wanted to be as far away from the fisherman as they could. I do not have the answer to why the mass of fishermen never did flock to spoonplugging. I am glad they didn't. Some of the greatest information I ever got was from meeting spoonpluggers that were better than me and you can bet I took advantage of that. And then you have spoonpluggers that are not in a club, do not belong to the national(obviously they feel that there will not be anything in there that they don't already know), and there are long time spoonpluggers that have never been to an outing. And you are correct in your thinking. Lots are dead, some don't have the time , some never put in the effort , and yes there are some great ones out there that continue the learning. Bottom line is that we have it and it is a good thing and it is still alive , maybe not well but still kicking. Hang in there. John
Larry Barr2
250 series

Post by Larry Barr2 »

For what it is worth to those who have helped me on this forum, and off, I am still here and still working on getting better (you did not waste your time). I haven't posted in a while because I have been able to get answers to my questions by study of Buck's material and/or working it out for myself on the water, but also because I did not want to start posting again until I had some success I could share. This has NOT come easy in the lakes I am dealing with here in AZ.........but I WILL get there.

Time on the water is a real problem, and not helped when all the ramps were closed here earlier in the year, but I have managed to get out six times since they reopened (early July) and have been making some progress.

My thanks to everyone who helped me get over the hump when I first started. Even without the success I can share, I can clearly see progress since I first started learning to troll the shallows, in my approach, and understanding. Believe me, when I get that first success (adult fish/ on purpose) I will share it with you all.

Larry
Kevin Atwell

Post by Kevin Atwell »

Well, I just want to thank ALL of you who contribute to us newer spoonpluggers! I did recently rejoin the National Spoonplugger (I had originally joined in 1990 when I bought the study course). I won't go into detail why it's taken me so long just to get to this point, I'm just glad I've gotten this far!

I love everything about spoonplugging - but it is a discipline - and most people are and have always been about the quick fix. If you read Terry O'Malleys article in the last Spoonplugger, it gives a glimpse at just how much Mr. Perry was up against. Politicians were literally offering him money to leave Florida...rather than set up clinics to catch the fish that were there.

Also, the B.A.S.S tournament with Ray Scott took over - literally banning trolling in their events to keep spoonpluggers from winning. It became all about the latest, fastest boat, hot lure and electronics. A lot of people had a lot of interest in capitalizing on that (Bass Pro Shops, etc.) What was a fun family pastime became a sport - not 'mom and pop' enjoy catching a stringer but more professional catch and release to benefit the tournament mentality...Spoonplugging is more for someone who doesn't have a lot of money to spend (like me) and enjoys the study and the challenge of working out a lake.

I do visit the site every day, and I would post more, but as we've said many times 'study the material', spend time on the water and you'll most always find the answers.

I would like to see Terry O'Malley write a book on spoonplugging and Mr. Perry from an historical perspective. It would be great to see the details on how Mr. Perry's original cast of friends like Don Nichols, etc. helped him work out the details - I would especially like to know how they mapped structure before electronics, and how in the world they ever figured out that natural Florida lakes had slots in the middle with barely discernable breaklines that held monster bass!

Anyway, you ARE appreciated! Keep up the good work!
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Hello Larry!!!
Glad you are still alive and kicking!
Yes, the shutting down of almost everything in this country, even including boat ramps was and is crazy.
I have been traveling all over the USA this year, mostly with helping out the kids in various places, and was able to do some fishing in other states. This year here in AZ was probably one of the hottest ever on record. 20 plus days over 110!!!! And no Monsoon this year either. Last rain here was way back in April. It aint no fun being on the water then.
One more trip starting this Sunday to Montana to help out my daughter, and of course Im going to float the Yellowstone again.
Then due to no hunting draws this year, will be hitting the Apache and Canyon as many times as possible.
So lets get together if we can.
Steve

Kevin,
Your post is spot on. You hit the nail on the head. John too! It is a discipline thing.

Most younger people today have almost no concept of what it takes to strive for whatever they are heading towards. They want success right now! Spoonplugging doesnt work quite that way. What it DOES do is teach you how to stick with it, really learn, and when you do find that school and catch fish after fish from one spot, you gain a satisfaction that only a Spoonplugger can understand. Some of us still do it and we just simply gain satisfaction from teaching others. I personally believe that is why Buck kept at it all those years. Helping others is Biblical. No matter what the subject. Don Dickson is the same way. It is good to see him back on the water again.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Hal Standish
700 series

Post by Hal Standish »

I have been Spoonplugging for 3.5 yrs now I'm 70 yrs young I can not wait till tomorrow learning something new about a lake or the fish is just extremely exciting. And personally I think it is the learning and having it confirmed with a catch is the most satisfying for me. Today for example today as I approached the structure i was going to carve up I could almost predict when i would get a strike and I nailed 8 pike. The number is not off the charts but the fact that I did it with four different SP's on three different structures...It's like having an appointment with the fish and all I had to do was show up. If there is a better system than the One Mr.Perry built for us I cannot imagine what it would be.

Hal
Thank-You ! Buck Perry
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Hal, The best time for us today was between 11:30 and high noon. After that, it slowed and we went a little deeper and picked up a couple more. John
Mapper
200 series

Post by Mapper »

So, are spoonpluggers made, or are they born with what it takes to become successful fishermen?

Even here, Buck had the answer. But, his response was so succinct, that it could easily be overlooked by the reader.

When Buck Perry stated “it takes a strong desire to catch a fish”, he was speaking about a genuine passion that comes from deep within the heart. IMHO,this is something that is God-given, but nurtured by others who were made in a similar mold.

Fast forward; America’s culture has made a seismic over the past few decades; eager to embrace things that are bigger, easier, faster and materially rewarding. Becoming a successful spoonplugger has little, if any, resemblance to these. In fact, it would almost seem to reflect the polar opposite in many respects.
Spoonplugging has been, and will continue to die off because of what is valued in America’s culture today.
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Mapper wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:20 am So, are spoonpluggers made, or are they born with what it takes to become successful fishermen?

Even here, Buck had the answer. But, his response was so succinct, that it could easily be overlooked by the reader.

When Buck Perry stated “it takes a strong desire to catch a fish”, he was speaking about a genuine passion that comes from deep within the heart. IMHO,this is something that is God-given, but nurtured by others who were made in a similar mold.

Fast forward; America’s culture has made a seismic over the past few decades; eager to embrace things that are bigger, easier, faster and materially rewarding. Becoming a successful spoonplugger has little, if any, resemblance to these. In fact, it would almost seem to reflect the polar opposite in many respects.
Spoonplugging has been, and will continue to die off because of what is valued in America’s culture today.
No truer words were ever spoken!

""So, are spoonpluggers made, or are they born with what it takes to become successful fishermen?""

I suspect it is a little of both.
I myself, had to work my butt off to gain even a little of what Buck was trying to teach us.
In my case, I truly believe that Buck, Don D, Tom F, Jim V, Jerry B, all contributed to my making. On the other hand, I believe that i was born with certain gifts, talents, and a strong will to learn all I could about whatever I set my hand too.
Like John always says, if you dont have the desire, then your learning will suffer. Desire is just something we are born with. My opinion anyway.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Kevin Atwell

Post by Kevin Atwell »

Desire is right, and Mr. Perry's was unrivaled - the Orange lake video shows how he would keep going - even when Terry and Vic had given up on the lake (and they are great fishermen) he went back and taught them that the fish were there. One small fish led them to the school, and they caught MONSTERS in a 'dead' lake.

He also spent upwards of 300 days a year on different waters for over what 50 years??!! I will be fortunate to get 30 trips a year till I retire.

He taught us all WE know but not all HE knew...I would have loved for him to explore catching "freaks" as he called the truly big bass. That video where he talks about the goal of catching a 15 lber is great.

In many ways, he WAS and IS spoonplugging...it was truly centered around him. Once he retired from writing for Fishing Facts magazine, that magazine paled in comparison to what it was in the 70's and didn't last long.
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Hal, You continue to get better!!!!! Why? Because you may have had as much or more time on the water than I did. You are self motivated and need no one to push you. You want this!!!!!!!!!! So you put forth the effort that it takes for success. The more success you have, the more you want to see!!! For most of us, that's just the way it works. This was a strange year and I spent a lot of it fishing alone till a few weeks back, but I never stopped going. Yesterday was day 102 on the water. My days are not counted unless the boat comes off the trailer. Anyways, my hat is off to you for your great effort and I will call you when Pigeon is ready. John
DougBush
400 series

Post by DougBush »

Some of the old spoonpluggers have seen me post this before. I will do it again as it may be amusing to the younger guys and will demonstrate how much times have changed.
The years are 1964-1965. The pro tournament trails were virtually non-existent, but Ray Scott was busy cooking up his plans for revolutionizing the fishing industry while he paid the bills with his insurance selling.
I had about 6 months training in spoonplugging and really didn't know as much as I THOUGHT I did. But the waters here in the south were dingy back then so we got good fish movements...even after a front. The average fisherman had little knowledge of these things although there were plenty who had enough sense to find a drop-off and work a plastic worm up and down those ledges to get fish. They had practically zero knowledge of SPEED control however.
I was a dyed in the wool scatter zone straggler chaser with that #200 series and I was knocking out huge strings of bass daily all over Georgia. I saw a way to make a few bucks at this.
I had a pool shooting/poker playing running buddy I called "Strong Arm John" (huge guy and ex-cop) and he was my 'enforcer'. We'd walk into a marina and I'd wave a handful of cash in the air and shout loudly...."Anybody in this place got the nerves to gamble for money on fishing?? I'll bet as high as you wanta' go! Get your local champ up here and let's BET something".
Usually someone would get on the phone and call "old so and so" and we'd work out the terms. Strong Arm John would go in the boat with the other guy and the other guy would put someone of his choosing in the boat with me as watchgdogs. We'd settle on 6 hours out there on the water and be back at such and such a time and the one who weighed the biggest string won the stake money. Sometimes the pots would be as high as a thousand dollars after all the side bets were added up. Lotta' money for back then.
It was as easy as falling off a log. All I did was snap on a 200 and start trolling that 8-10 foot zone for miles..over and over and over. Limit catches of 15 bass were easy to come by. The opponent's watchdog in the boat with me would be just shaking his head...."I can't believe what I'm seeing, we can't beat you and that damn spoonplug thing".
Those were glory days. But the lakes began to change...they got clearer. That meant the easy fishing was gone. Had to go to wire...had to be in the exact position...had to be sharper in interpreting structure. The tournament guys came along and even though they were not as knowledgeable as spoonpluggers they were NOT STUPID. They weren't going to just GIVE their money away. They began adapting portions of Buck's teachings and the easy gambling money was soon gone with the wind.
Boy it was fun being a young upstart and rattling the cages of all those old experts for a year or two though. That "fishing money" paid a lot of house and car notes. :lol:
Enough for this time. Douglas Bush.
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Doug

So good to hear from “The Lone Fisherman “ again!

Please do regale us with more stories of your adventures in Spoonplugging. Always entertaining with a good Spoonplugging lesson included for good measure.

Good Fishing

TN Dave