The drop shot

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
joseph radunz
200 series

Re: The drop shot

Post by joseph radunz »

A drop shot at the end of a well placed cast at the base of a weed line can put many different species in the boat.
Joe
Attachments
87D94105-4FAD-4F34-8450-597015596F85.jpeg
87D94105-4FAD-4F34-8450-597015596F85.jpeg (969.41 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

That's awesome. I've gotten a few of those things on the Detroit River, most always snagged and some giant ones. I bet that took about an hour out of your life. John
joseph radunz
200 series

Post by joseph radunz »

Yep that was a fun one, not what I was expecting- that’s for sure. Those dinosaurs can pull.

I have also used a drop shot with the kids on some mid lake humps fishing for big gills. Let them pick out their favorite piece of panfish plastic and go to town. Teaches them how to know when they’re on the bottom, keeping lines tight and feeling a bite. Keeps them busy while learning something. Surprisingly enough it’s almost easier to get them when conditions are marginal, they ball up in a nice tight group, spot lock them with the 25lb navy anchor and fish em dang near vertical. When it gets really tough - swap out the plastic for a chunk of crawler and your back in business.
Seems to work best on rock covered humps that have the little snail shell crustacean beds on them. Best spots I’ve found top out at 28’-30’and are surrounded by 45’. Usually a summer months thing, after they get done fooling around with each other in the shallows the ones with foreheads will start relating to the deeper stuff.
Just thought I’d add that to the drop shot conversation for anyone who has little fisher people. They have fun and you get a tasty meal out of it.
Joe