This is what I saw at the outing at Hickory

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
John Bales
JB2

This is what I saw at the outing at Hickory

Post by John Bales »

I saw a group of spoonpluggers, some with experience on this type of water and some new to it. I didn't get to see each and every boat working structures but what I did see were two fishermen not familiar with reservoirs work their hearts out doing what they are supposed to do to gain real fishing knowledge. These two guys put their heads down and worked their tails off to learn about this type of fishing water. And they were rewarded for their efforts . Hats off to Tom Jennings and Harold from Indy for putting in the kind of effort that is needed to keep learning. Tom also took in a partner who was pretty new and they learned together. There is a lot that happens when you get spoonpluggers together, and it is all good. John
TN_Explorer
250 series

Re: This is what I saw at the outing at Hickory

Post by TN_Explorer »

I was Tom Jennings' hitchhiker. I will be forever in his debt for taking me along - we had never met before this outing. I learned so much! And you and Steve Craig gave me the drill sergeant's introduction to spoonplugging at the get together. I WAS listening, believe it or not.

I now have the beginnings of understanding what I am looking at and reading, both in the green book, on the forum, and on the water. I am energized and immersing myself in the NSOA newsletters, this forum, and the spoonplugging videos on youtube. With any luck I will see you at next year's outing - who knows, maybe I can bring someone new along!

Thanks,
Mike
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

I certainly enjoyed meeting guys in person that prior to this had only sorta knew thru this website and newsletter. Just wish we could have spent more time chatting. the fishing was just a bonus.
David Powell
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

TN Explorer

Mike,

Now that you have meet some of the Spoonplugging Community,
and saw first hand what can be accomplished. It’s time to sign up for a real Spoonplugging lesson from one of the CSI’s.

Since you met John Bales, he would be my recommendation.
(Having spent quality time on the water with John I can attest to his knowledge and skill)

You will save the cost of the class many times over in knowing what equipment to buy ( and what not to buy). By flattening the learning curve you will save a lot of frustration and aggravation while on the water. Not to mention the number of lost lures (Spoonplugs) you save by improving your trolling skills.

The Basic Spoonplugging Class is time and money well spent.

Good Fishing

TN Dave
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

I agree with Dave and will add two things.
  • 1. This from first-hand experience: Not only does John have the knowledge and skill but he is an EXCELLENT teacher. He will first evaluate your skill level and work from there. He is dedicated to have you to learn.
    2. You are familiar with your own boat and how it handles, so use it if you can. Eliminates having to get used to how John's boat handles at the same time you are trying to focus on what John is teaching.
One more thing: be prepared to work!

(This testimonial paid for by the John Bales College of Spoonplugging Knowledge) :lol:
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Jim:)
Gobi
200 series

Post by Gobi »

Tight lines guys, thanks for taking care of the new guy.

Watch John's video of fishing St Clair's and Detroit river, Jerry and others have gone out there too and made some great videos.
shibs - from GR, MI
[Beware of the guy with 1 rod and a 200 spoonplug]
TN_Explorer
250 series

Post by TN_Explorer »

Thanks, all. Good advice; I wasn't even aware there were schools or training anymore. I did join the NSOA, and am reading through the news letters. In addition to learning about spoonplugging, I am no longer immersed in the TV and current events. A win-win situation, according to my wife . . .
Gobi
200 series

Post by Gobi »

don't have cable and don't watch tv, you are not missing much :-)

shibs - from GR, MI
[Beware of the guy with 1 rod and a 200 spoonplug]
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

jwt wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:46 pm I agree with Dave and will add two things.
  • 1. This from first-hand experience: Not only does John have the knowledge and skill but he is an EXCELLENT teacher. He will first evaluate your skill level and work from there. He is dedicated to have you to learn.
    2. You are familiar with your own boat and how it handles, so use it if you can. Eliminates having to get used to how John's boat handles at the same time you are trying to focus on what John is teaching.
One more thing: be prepared to work!

(This testimonial paid for by the John Bales College of Spoonplugging Knowledge) :lol:
Mega Dittoes on that, James !

Not only is the Basic Spoonplugging Class good for new Spoonpluggers; it is a good idea ( Continuing Education) for those of us who have been around for a while. Nothing like making sure one’s Spoonplugging skills are where we need them to be.

Get with John or any of the CSIs and be prepared to learn. Either refresh basic skills are move on to an advanced level. There is always more to learn!

Good Fishing

TN Dave
Hal Standish
700 series

Post by Hal Standish »

stockrex wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:18 am don't have cable and don't watch tv, you are not missing much :-)

Got that right! Save money stay away from cable.
Thank-You ! Buck Perry