Hello

Introduce yourself to our online Spoonplugging community
Dthomspon

Hello

Post by Dthomspon »

So I read Buck's books and course materials, picked up the correct tackle, started renting boats (tiller engine, deep v) and am currently trying to teach myself spoonpluging. I'm from California and to be brutally honest I've never seen anyone other than me troll or attempt to troll on a lake(videos not counted in that statement).

My plan is to go every other week for a year and hopefully catch fish relatively consistently by then. Although I belieave it would really help to have some on the water instruction once this pandemic ends I don't know if there is anyone anywhere near me that knows how to fish like Buck describes.

If anyone finds themselves in Southern California and would like to show me a thing or two about spoonplugging, Is a spoonplugging instructure who is willing to teach on the water in southern CA, or is just interested in fishing lakes with more than their fair share of 10lbs+ bass please drop me line.
CHAMP
700 series

Re: Hello

Post by CHAMP »

The 1st thing you need to do is study the home study course a lot!
Next pick you a lake that has good water color
try to find one that has lots of rip rap at a causeway or dam causeway needs to cross a channel
trolling rip rap is a good way to start out teaches you how to troll and catch good fish at the same time
be sure to have a good lure reteiver but lots of time just get over plug and jiggle line it will fall free
also for a good while only troll no deeper than a 250
you can do this on your on but you have to really want it
Last edited by CHAMP on Wed May 20, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Powell
yaaintdeadyet
250 series

Post by yaaintdeadyet »

Welcome and greetings D.
I spent many years fishing through out SoCal. Often inshore and in the surf from San Diego to Long Beach. Very often we fished the Salton Sea. Always with good results.

There are many aspects of the Spoonplugging method that apply to inshore waters. Suprisingly surf fishing and Perry's principles marry well. Once the nuances of the variants the foamy brine offers are taken into consideration.

Yet most of my time on the water in SoCal was on the freshwater lakes surrounding the L.A. and Orange county metro area. Including the reservoirs in San Diego, Riverside and San Bernadino counties. You likely know full and well the logistics involved in fishing in an area with the population, read traffic, of SoCal. Unless you live close to a body of water, such as the surf or an urban lake, the planning alone to avoid traffic and the fishing public is an exercise in preparation. Just to access a body of water within a days drive, 100 mile radius, you'll find the precepts offered by Spoonplugging a viable means to be successful. At the very least a means to learn what makes up each lake.

You mentioned the plus 10lb. Bass, largemouth, spotted and striper, that thrive in the SoCal lakes. You're possibly aware of the value stocked trout are to those behemoths. We've trolled many of the lure creations spawned by those that chase these big fish. Big swim baits, the AC lure, Huddleston, Savage Gear and others. Those crafted by Del East and Greg Silks were and are fine tools. Steve Craig and myself both use large Muskie type spinner baits worked in deep water. There's John Bales JB1 and 2 lures that fall into the same category. We often began the day trolling D, usually with a trout imitator of some kind. Just as when using a Spoonplug on a proper troll a reliable plug knocker is important. Sometimes two.

There are more than enough local legends through out the SoCal fishing scene. One in particular was San Diego big bass fisherman Bill Murphy. He practiced a method he termed "stitching". It's a fine means to thoroughly work breaks and contact points. It's slow and methodical. Grandma would call it pinching your bait through an area. When you've trolled, mapped and become intimately aware of the SoCal reservoir you'll fish the benefit of precisely working a contact point comes into play. Fishing then becomes more interesting, fulfilling and successful. Remember to take into consideration whether the lake is affected by a draw down or influx of new water. Including how recent both have taken place. Both create a current that these fish become accustomed to and will effect them when they move. Just always remember the importance of depth and speed.

That's enough out of me D. If you will post which lakes you'll target. I'll offer up my experience on them to the best of my ability. Stick around, ask questions and stay near the study course and especially the green book.
Ya say life's tough, ya say ya got life figured out. Well, Ya aint dead yet.
Dthomspon

Post by Dthomspon »

Thanks guys,

Here's a link a to a contour map of Diamond Valley Reservoir, a lake I've been fishing recently: http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.co ... -117.05478

Just as a side note, many of the parts marked land are currently underwater. For perspective, the islands you see are underwater humps.

Anyway, I believe its a highland reservoir number 2. Water clarity near the west dam which is the head water area currenty is dark green with about a foot and a half of visibility. The east dam would be the lower end of the lake, very deep and in many parts of the year very clear i.e. visibility of 100ft with polarized sunglasses. Highland reservoirs are very common where I live and its hard to find lowland with decent boat rentals. Lake Perris works but is currently closed due to the pandemic.

So, my plan is to learn contour trolling on the west Dam with occasional attempts at the surrounding bars and slowly move to learning pattern trolling. I'm also rereading the course a little each day.

Champ, you mentioned not going any deeper than the 250 for a good while. How would say some one knows when to move to a deeper plug?

Also, what type of lure retrievers/plug knocker do you guys recommend? I used one once and it just got lost a long with the lure so I haven't really messed with them sense.
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

Did you really mean the west end has 18'' water vis. and east end has 100 ft.of vis.? Can you troll the rip rap or do they have it blocked off.
At 18 '' of vis. the rip rap should be giving up fish. Be sure you are ticking the rocks at least some of the time the more the better. wikipedi says it has largemouth and smallmouth,strippers plus others. It is considered one of the best fisheries in California. It does have some good bars in it, but most don't start to form untill 30' deep.Most of these bars just look like a ridge type bar with no real breakline or sharper break, just keep going. On bars such as this you will not likely find the contact point ,so trolling passes and jump lures will have to find the fish 4u. So be sure if you can at least put the weather in your favor.
Champ, you mentioned not going any deeper than the 250 for a good while. How would say some one knows when to move to a deeper plug?
Simple when u feel like you can control that lure at its proper depth,and can interpert what it is telling you.
Do you know about the Navionics web app.Its very helpful.
Be sure to go to youtube and watch Mr. Perrys video on trolling rip rap.
Also be sure to check Don Dicksons you tube channel.
Copy and paste this in youtube.
qSuDQku7szM
David Powell
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel sorry for anyone who is just starting out at a place like this. That big flat bar at the west end is a perfect place to practice keeping lures in position. This place is trouble for anyone. John
Dthomspon

Post by Dthomspon »

Thanks for pointing out that Mr. Perry has a rip rap video Champ. That was a good watch and I'll be trying follow that as best as possible. Also I've been watching and will continue to watch Mr. Dickson's videos.

To answer your questions. Both the east and west dams have rip rap. I just found out from the Navionics app that there is a third dam in the northwest, so I'll have to go see if it has rip rap next time out.

As for water clarity, what I meant to to say was that currently I'm seeing about 18 inches of visibility with green water throughout the lake. This could be the lake turning over. I fished this lake a few years ago and during the late summer the area near the east dam and southern bank is crystal clear. The southern bank would have about a 20ft tall weed line. During that time I never made it to the west Dam, so I don't know if there would be any difference in water color.

Thanks John. I though when I was trolling that dam last week that I would come in contact with that large bar but I didn't. I downloaded the Navionics app today by Champs suggestion and the bar isn't actually on that app. So the free contour map that I linked to may have some issues. I tried to post the Navionics map, but haven't figured out how.

The one thing the free map is right about is a lot of very steep shoreline, but where I live and using rentals Diamond Valley Lake is actually one of the best options. There are a lot of highland type 1 lakes here.
yaaintdeadyet
250 series

Post by yaaintdeadyet »

John has a point. As stated it's always a good idea to begin the practice of keeping your lure in position.

If you're close to Diamond reservoir then Lake Skinner or Elsinore could possibly be within a short drive. I don't know if CA has released them for use yet. I do know Skinner offers boat rental. Both have expansive flats that contour and meet breaks. It's those breaks and slick little turns that can aid in understanding the nuance's involved in trolling. They're also rudimentary in learning to produce you're own map. I found it was easier for me in the learning process to troll one depth using a tool (lure) that runs true to that depth. Tickling and teasing the bottom to better understand what she feels like. Granted you might give up a few tools (lures) the process affords an intimacy with the bottom. As a side note when I first began trolling spoonplugs I lost more than my wallet could appreciate. To overcome leaving money on the bottom I replaced the rear hooks with a similar size treble yet with the barbed end snipped off. They seemed to carry the same weight just didn't grab and hold as often. They were easier to retrieve also. The first treble was always there to catch any interested fish. It's still fun to troll a new body of water using tools (lures) with known running depths with the rear trebles removed. Even more so with the production nav map folded up and the electronics off. We'll turn on our weather worn Humminbird flasher after a first pass.

I know that Navionics along with a few other mapping tools seem to provide a step ahead in learning a body of water. Yet they don't indicate what's on a contour or break. Even less what material is on them. None display wood, rock or metal unless they're noted by us when we work them. This is why mapping is so beneficial. When your map is then overlain or compared to a nav map the bottom seems clearer. You can see how current, wind, wave action, light and water color effects a sought after contact point. Granted there are some amazing tools (sonar) to use right at our fingertips a pencil and notepad can becomes our own conception.

Stay tuned in D. Especially if you're fishing this Memorial Day weekend. I'd like to know just how congested Diamond is/was.
Ya say life's tough, ya say ya got life figured out. Well, Ya aint dead yet.
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Dthompson,
first ....welcome to the board.
That said, I would like to caution you on the lake you have chosen to learn to Spoonplug on. This lake is a BAD lake for a beginner.
You would be well advised to try another lake like:
Puddingstone
Arrowhead
Silverwood
Matthews
Now DO what the book says.
Run all the different size lures, keeping the boat and lure in position. Learn to Troll the shallows, then learn to troll the deeper areas. Dont be in a hurry to go deeper until you can run all sizes of lures in the shallows.
Study the Book and also the Home Study course.
Try to stay away from all those really deep Highlanders. They suck even for an experienced Spoonplugger.
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!