Hello

Introduce yourself to our online Spoonplugging community
Fran Myers
JB1

Hello

Post by Fran Myers »

Have been fairly fairly quiet the past year. Only fished once last year due to a big change in jobs that left me scrambling with scheduling.

Had been looking forward to Lake St Clair this year but the Covid-19 virus shut those plans down.
I have been pretty much house bound the past few months. Even before the stay in place orders because of my world travel and working for a company that owns assisted livings.

To help stop the spreading waistline of inactivity, I started PRETENDING to buy a lake cabin. My criteria was within two hours of home, a large lot so friends could come with their boats, and a lake that I and others would like to fish. So I drove about 3000 miles around Minnesota looking.

It turns out that there is no perfect combination. House is great but the lake sucks. Lake is great but lot too small. After 3 weeks I found 2 possibilities and tried to get showings. Because the realtors don’t really go for the whole PRETENDING theory of cabin shopping, I had to get pre-approved. When that took all of about 30 minutes things began to get serious.

After some thinking and convincing I chose to buy a cabin on a small Minnesota Lake with Lake Erie/StClair level Smallmouth, world class Musky, and Walleye. When I fished it the reports were that the walleye population had collapsed. I saw no evidence of any sort of collapse. The fish were literally in the Shallows, the deep, and in between most of the time.

I believe that I will be spending a lot of time at my cabin once we close the end of June. Can’t imagine I will be flying the jet much or going in our buildings even if things open a lot. So I can get my Smallmouth fix.

Talk to You guys Soon,
Fran
Fran Myers
jwt
800 series

Re: Hello

Post by jwt »

Welcome back Fran! Good to see all is well with you. Where are your new digs located?
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

Hi Jim,

Mille Lacs Lake
E549A22E-4CEE-4588-90F4-F9776BCCBB8D.png
E549A22E-4CEE-4588-90F4-F9776BCCBB8D.png (459.51 KiB) Viewed 20149 times
Fran Myers
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Fran if Mille Lacs is the "small" lake where you bought your cabin, what is considered a big lake? :lol: Best wishes with your new acquisition and have fun with the bronze warriors.

Regards, JT
phillip szafranski
200 series

Post by phillip szafranski »

Congratulations on your purchase and good to see you back on the site. Work seems to always get in the way of Spoonplugging.
Phil
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

I was looking at the regs for the Lake. Al I can say is that it’s a good thing I don’t eat much fish because you can’t keep much of anything.
But the opportunities for Numbers and trophies are unique.

I am planning on living up there as soon as I can.
Fran Myers
beckman44
700 series

Post by beckman44 »

Good to here from you again Fran, You are going to have a blast on Mill Lacs. Just watch the wind. Bill.
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

Hi Bill,

After many trips on Erie and StClair I am very familiar with wind and big water. It’s nice to come back. For over a year now it seemed like my
schedule was bugged. Nothing on schedule, I’d ask if I could go - sure! Make arrangements only to have a flight pop up the day before I leave.

I tried to get to John’s house 5 different weekends Last year only to have to cancel. Really pissed me off. I almost quit everything. I just got my plane home so now I can just drop down and visit my friends to fish. Nothing will stop me except a pandemic. And what’s the chances that’ll....oops

Covid is real. Be careful out there.
Fran Myers
beckman44
700 series

Post by beckman44 »

Fran; Due to the virus I will be doing a lot of solo fishing. This stuff is hit close to home for me. Two friends I worked with each got it. Dan passed away 2 weeks ago, and Eric is on day 38 of it. Dan was 62 and in good health. Eric is 50. He says it it the worst thing he has ever faced in his life. Scary stuff.
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

Working for a company that owns assisted livings puts things in a deep perspective
Fran Myers
Gobi
200 series

Post by Gobi »

Congrats!
As soon as this covid thing eliminated I vote we add a MN outing :-)
shibs - from GR, MI
[Beware of the guy with 1 rod and a 200 spoonplug]
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

I bought a property with 1.2 acres and 3.5 bathrooms with the idea of having something. Of course we cant keep any fish but wth. Trophies are possible
Fran Myers
Garry B
200 series

Post by Garry B »

I bought a property with 1.2 acres
Is this property on the southwest corner ?
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

South East. Just north of Isle.
Fran Myers
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Fran

Glad you are back and able to plan and execute some real fishing trips!! Congratulations on the “cabin “; I knew that you had been searching for sometime. Three Thousand Miles!!!! Nothing like being throughly persistent. Take Care.

Good Fishing,

TN Dave