rod selection

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
tinfish

rod selection

Post by tinfish »

Can you recommend any rods for trolling spoonplugs besides Bucks rods ?
pat maio

Other rods

Post by pat maio »

Any rod can troll a spoonplug. But, it is unlikely it will troll the s/p with the same efficiency and ease of handling, not to mention the information the short stiff rod and no-bo line telegraphs back to the troller :idea: .
Jack

Post by Jack »

There are no "name brand" rods that I know of. Alot of my trolling rods are from casting rods that the tips broke off on. Typically a 6' casting rod that has some backbone to it will make a really good trolling rod after you cut off 12" to 18", and then ofcourse a new guide at the end.
John Bales
JB2

Trolling rods

Post by John Bales »

There is no substitute for Mr. Perry's trolling rods. They are simply the best tool for the job. End of story. John
HOSS

Post by HOSS »

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE WITH MR. BALES!!!!! Plus the guides stand up to the strain of using stainless wire!! I have buck rods that are 6 seasons or more old and they take the abuse the best!! Your wallet will thank you later!! :D
aquinate

Post by aquinate »

what kind of rod do you guys use for casting? Is the spoonplug rod too short? what kind of reel do you use for casting?
pat maio

casting rod

Post by pat maio »

I wondered about that myself at one time. Luckily, Bucks Baits still had a few casting rods on hand. This was back in the eighties. I bought two and base any current purchases on these rods. In general-- they were 6 ft with a med, stiff action. Whippy, limber rods would not work well. I still have the 2 rods.
As you might expect they were glass with none of the exotic description of todays catalog rods. Today I would lean more to the less expensive casting rods rather than the h igh priced exotics.
Any good casting reel would work. I like the Ambassadeur line.
Hope this helps.