My Spoonplugging beginning (and ending?)

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
Ben Marcos
400 series

My Spoonplugging beginning (and ending?)

Post by Ben Marcos »

I should have told my story long ago in "Meet n Greet" forum, but back then I had wanted to include some Spoonplugging fish pictures from 70s and 80s. Alas, too many cross-country moves, and I can't find the shoebox storing the pics; keep hoping to find it. Anyhow, it's probably time to step away from this forum after this thread, and I want to thank you spoonpluggers, but also tell my story even without my (old!) pictures.

At age 15, (1975) I had been making lawaway payments on a new 9.8 Hp Mercury, the same kind my hero Buck Perry used. I bagged groceries and loaded them into customers' cars, for tips only, almost every day after school, and Saturday mornings. (Too bad teens dont have such opportunities today. Thank you Offutt AFB commissary!)
By age 16, I had the motor, and plenty spoonplugging tackle, and was then making layaway payments on a new 14' Alumacraft semi-V and Shorelander trailer. Had the rig all paid for (still from "tips only") while turning 17. By 18, finally bought something to tow the thing with--a well-used Ford F100. (Please notice my priorities in new vs. used. Had been towing my boat with Dad's VW Bus. He didnt fish, but knew all about Buck, thanks to me.)

Since Fishing Facts articles always mentioned how BP caught plenty of fish from "fished out" local waters near cities, I focused on trying to do the same, and was plenty happy with initial catches (not huge catches, but usually good enough, especially if I learned something good.)

Around this time, (18) I "met Jesus" in a deeper way, and began to reconsider life's priorities, in order to be a more useful servant. Church life became my main focus for next 12 years. Although I still went spoonplugging, not with such a vengeance as before. Some people recommended I explore preparation for "the ministry," and I felt the same way. Enrolled in a Pentecostal Bible College, 1990, and decided I would be a better student without the temptation to spend hours and hours fishing (at least the way I enjoyed fishing--spoonplugging requires commitment!) Therefore, I sold the boat and precious motor, believing doing such would help my success as a Bible student, if not also to show God who my greater priority was.

When in the South, circa 1990 or 91, I made a whistle stop pilgrimage to Hickory, NC, just to shake Buck's hand, show him a recent fish picture, and to say THANK YOU. We had a long convivial conversation. I loved his salty talk about the world of fishing. (PM me if you want to hear something he said about George Pazik. It's NOT nice, but still makes me chuckle.)

Graduated from the Bible college, 1993. Not much happened afterward. Eventually, (circa 1999-2000) I researched my way out of belief in any of the gods, and any kind of supernatural superstition. (I know many here are believers. Do not pity me. The same thirst for truth that lead me into a life of faith is the same thirst for truth that lead me out of faith. I only regret the lost time, and taking deep risks for my erstwhile Faith.)

Fast-forward to my discovering this Spoonpluggers Forum. You guys have helped me re-live such happy memories of the most exciting years of my life. Therefore, i began to toy with the idea of getting back into it (with a real trolling boat) rather than just casting a 400 Sp from some good shoreline banks every Spring, which have been plenty productive SOME years when the weather stays "normal". But going whole-hog back into spoonplugging probably won't happen, so I ought to go away now, or just lurk. Thanks everyone. Wish it had dawned on me in 1980 to find other Spoonpluggers around the country. I figured the Green Book was all I needed. Not a good strategy. Newbies reading this- hire a teacher (CSI).
"Structure situations can be like an old-fashioned prostate exam--the deepest finger receives the initial movement!" Ben Marcos :shock:
John Bales
JB2

Re: My Spoonplugging beginning (and ending?)

Post by John Bales »

Good story. Enjoyed reading. I really believe that anyone can become a good spoonplugger in a few short years without much help. However...….. there will be some hiccups along the way where this forum can save a person a lot of wasted time. If a person has the real desire to learn, they will make sure there is a way to get it done and still keep any commitments and responsibilities. A person like this is hard to find. They are far and few between. I have had one student in my life that fits that mold and some day he will be one of the best. If there is such a thing as a natural, this kid is it!!!! A few times on the water and a little coaching over the phone is all I have given him. He has followed me to St. Clair and to Lake Ontario and kicked butt at both places which was new water to him. It is a real pleasure to see someone have such great success. John