Trolling Reel

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
realhoosierfan
500 series

Trolling Reel

Post by realhoosierfan »

I have recently bought rods from Bucks Baits and currently I am looking at line counter reels. Do the Okuma Coldwater or the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur line counter reels fit Bucks rods? Also what size reel of those two models do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: Trolling Reel

Post by Steve Craig »

Hoosierfan,
Yes, the Okumas will fit Bucks Rods.
I use a couple different models. the Smaller Magda for when I use NOBO or Braid. The Convector for my Wire line.
I have worn out the Magda 20 on a couple models, so switched to the Magda 30. Larger handle and they seem to hold up well.
FWIW, i am hard on reels!
Also.......welcome to the forum!!!
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Hal Standish
700 series

Post by Hal Standish »

Steve Craig wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:45 am Hoosierfan,
Yes, the Okumas will fit Bucks Rods.
I use a couple different models. the Smaller Magda for when I use NOBO or Braid. The Convector for my Wire line.
I have worn out the Magda 20 on a couple models, so switched to the Magda 30. Larger handle and they seem to hold up well.
FWIW, i am hard on reels!
Also.......welcome to the forum!!!
I have 5 Okuma's magda 20 and 30's Is there any thing you do in particular during off season storage. I'l be fishing to Freeze up and start again April 1st 4.5 months of down time. Thanks in advance.

hal
Thank-You ! Buck Perry
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Hal,
I really dont have an off season to speak of. Out here it is fishing year round. I slow down in the very hot summer months, as it is simply too danged hot when the temps are over 110 every day.
As far as the reels go, I just keep them oiled and greased good and use them until they wear out, then get another one.Usually go through them once a year and check for defects etc., and refill with fresh line.
Just found out one of my Convectors, line counter, quit working. Still just use the old "count the layers" with it.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
GDS

Post by GDS »

I have a couple Diawa Sealine (some sequence of letters) and a 17. Have worked well and no problems, plan on getting a couple more.
You get spoiled using a line counter reel, ripping weeds off or getting hung for a second, you can go right back to where you were.
I have a slew of Penn 109's that I need to unload, great reels, but...………….
Hal Standish
700 series

Post by Hal Standish »

Thanks Steve, after I posted the original question i got to thinking heck there is no off season in the Cactus league.
Hal
Thank-You ! Buck Perry
Gobi
200 series

Post by Gobi »

Okumas have carbon fiber drag,
get the smaller okumas and you should be good.
shibs - from GR, MI
[Beware of the guy with 1 rod and a 200 spoonplug]
Hal Standish
700 series

Post by Hal Standish »

stockrex wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:33 am Okumas have carbon fiber drag,
get the smaller okumas and you should be good.
Have 30's and 20 Okuma's Really think they are good value. On 20' size okuma I use 10lb braid run the 3 smaller SP's 5,4 250 very good setup for me when running across shallow weed beds.
hal
Thank-You ! Buck Perry