The enemy is here

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
John Bales
JB2

The enemy is here

Post by John Bales »

I've had a good time on my own lake this year but right now my blood pressure is up and I am red faced. Ted Walter put a great article by Mr. Perry in our last Indiana newsletter about how a fish reacts to a changing environment. The weed spraying guy is out on my lake right now throwing his rake and figuring out what they want to kill. My experience has told me that the lakes that get hit hard by the weed sprayers have less adult fish of all species. I have tried to put myself in a fish's body and think about what the fish do when the weeds start dying off. I already know what happened back in 2005 when they did a total weed kill on my lake and it killed all the adult fish. I would think that they would not want to be around what is changing and what if they nuke the whole lake, where will they go? Deep water right? I do know this. A week or two after they spray, it is hard to catch anything.
But the excuse for them spraying is to save the lake from the invasive weeds that will take over the lake, lower property values and mess up the fishing if nothing is done. So they spray and mess up the fishing but the weeds are gone and everyone is happy but me and the fish. Bottom line is that they are thinking they are doing a good thing by spraying several different kinds of poisons directly into our lakes. My well is 50 feet from the lake but they say that there is no way the poisons can get in my well.
How in the hell do I stop this? John
Team9nine
800 series

Re: The enemy is here

Post by Team9nine »

John, you need to try and find out what chemical they will be treating with. Probably something similar to what they’ve used in the past. Also, any idea what type of weeds are in the lake? Milfoil? Cabbage?

May or may not be able to do something based on the answers above. Hopefully they don’t go for an entire lake kill.
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

As bad as I hate this group, I will have to say for you to contact the EPA. Also contact as many Enviormental groups and get them involved asap. Definately use the well water and bad chemical route. It is your only option as i see it.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Hal Standish
700 series

Post by Hal Standish »

Water quality has been in the news for a couple of years now here in Michigan. Flint Michigan has been a problem with lead in the drinking water for some time. Well water has now become a problem due to flooding in many Michigan communities. It only makes sense that the chemicals being used to eradicate weeds will make it's way into well water on lakes that are being treated.
EPA or environmental groups may be a way but I would seek out local Newspaper and TV investigative reporters to "dig" a little deeper in the subject. Politico's can not stand that kind of pressure if it gains any traction at all. Once these kind of stories get out they are hard to stop, this kind of situation is a great subject for the local investigative types especially with all the folks that live on lakes in your area. "Agent Orange, lead and PFAS " really get people thinking about their water supply, let alone quality of fishing. This situation seems un manageable but with a little media coverage this situation can be addressed.

Hal
Thank-You ! Buck Perry
Ben Marcos
400 series

Post by Ben Marcos »

John, just an idea. Somewhere in a university in your state must reside an aquatic or fishery biologist who understands exactly what you are talking about. Perhaps hire him or her to look at your lake and write a few paragraphs describing a biologist's take on your lake's health and its threats. Use that to start a narrative to be shared with neighbors and all local stakeholders. Of course, your own testimony about past fish catch decimations should resonate at least with other fishermen. I'll bet preemptive carpet bombing of all weeds is not enlightened ecology management. Again, a concerned expert may help make your case in surprising ways. Start a fuss, others may join.
"Structure situations can be like an old-fashioned prostate exam--the deepest finger receives the initial movement!" Ben Marcos :shock:
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

I have dealt with everyone I can think of including all that you all have mentioned. Rarely got a reply from anyone. I even contacted 60 minutes. Told them that this would be a great story with the state being involved, the lies that are being told, the destruction of the fish in our lakes here and in many other states and never got a reply. I have been around the block with them all. I am only one. We need many. John
Gobi
200 series

Post by Gobi »

Take pics/video
At the west MI walleye club meeting, they said that in a lake they are not supposed to spread the herbicides all over the lake, just localized to a few spots, the MUCC rep ask us to take pics/videos or how the chemicals are being spread.
shibs - from GR, MI
[Beware of the guy with 1 rod and a 200 spoonplug]
frankyav
400 series

Post by frankyav »

That is how it starts as spot treatment supposedly. If you fish a lake frequently and they do a so called " Spot Treatment" you will notice a section or sections of the lakes where the weed beds are knocked way back. Then the herbicide company "Identifies" other areas that need treatment or weed problem will be out of control. Association and state gives the ok and the funds, before you know it entire lake is sprayed.

1000 acre Paw Paw lake, Michigan - Never saw Eurasion Milfoil in the lake. Healthy native weed beds throughout the lake since its existence. Lake association decides floating weeds are a problem after they run the ski boat through them all weekend and homeowner has to rake his beach. Association Consults Herbicide company who begins spot treatment, next time you go there you can cast to the shoreline and not get a weed. 1000 acre lake is eradicated of the native vegetation completely. What was once a Great lake with weed beds down to 15-16 feet is now garbage and water turns brown from all the decaying vegetation but thats ok. Now herbicide company needs to set up aerating stations since the lake is so jacked up but thats ok.

Never thought about the well water contamination aspect John mention, but that is a very valid point.

Frank
Gobi
200 series

Post by Gobi »

Pull samples and send out for testing.
shibs - from GR, MI
[Beware of the guy with 1 rod and a 200 spoonplug]
D-wayne
200 series

Post by D-wayne »

The actual fight is with the $ that is paying for the lobbiest that are contributing to the political entities who give authorization for initiatives.
Messy and complicated as you are pushing against big money.
So how can a little entity be heard?
The only way to get action from those who must turn against the big money is to have something that will cause much more loss than the big money gain.
A large number of votes will create an interest. Unfortunately unless there is a strong force assisting with the stance against the big money the likelihood of a decision reversal is limited.

The question remains, what can be done???
These are my perspective only and should not be considered as a viable path for successful negotiations.

I have seen a multi million dollar wind turbine project that was all set and ready to go halted and cancelled by an environmental issue with a turtle colony. The stance was that the turle nests may have been effected by the vibrations from the wind turbines.
Another environmental issue a while back was championed by the same community who lobbied for a lake "weed control" . The change came when some of the folks got wind of the fact that once the chemicals used to "control the vegitation" got into the water shed it would damage if not wipe out the grape plants through out the vineyards when they were irrigated during the yearly dry spell.

Each geographic area is unique and every community have their own sets of priorities. Something that works for one community may not fair to well for another. The key is to find something that you can use to rally a great deal of support that is backed by the almighty dollar.

Good luck with your noble quest.
Please keep us updated on your finds
Remember to always practice Angling CPR
CATCH, PICTURE and RELEASE 8-)
Hal Standish
700 series

Post by Hal Standish »

Clear Lake in St Joe County just received it's ration or weed killer June 17th
The map left at the boat ramp indicated that the entire lake was treated about 250 ft from shore all around the entire lake. Will hit it next week to look for noticeable results. Have made some nice catches of bass and pike on Clear over the short time I have been spoonplugging.
Hal
Thank-You ! Buck Perry
joseph radunz
200 series

Post by joseph radunz »

Got my first taste of lake poisoning. My boys and I were out last Friday to a lake 9 miles from home. Good yellow green color, usually loaded with bass and pike. Had some stable conditions so I figured it be a good one for the little guys to stay busy on. The boys lasted a solid three hours, which is good for them, we had steady action the entire time with a mixed bag of pike and bass on the troll. Scattered weeds in 13-14 ‘ that grew up 3’ from the bottom. Ticking the tops of the weeds with 250’s at 4.3-4.7 mph was the ticket. We went home after frustration set in with my young partners because they where losing fish due to hooks being straightened out. Sooo...we beefed up our terminal tackle and headed back there this Friday. We were greeted at the dock by a bright orange placard stating the lake was “treated” for weeds the Saturday after we were there last. Short story long- weed break line all but gone. Fish - not nearly as active and size waaaay down. Weather conditions almost identical as last week, water conditions not. We still got some fish but had to work a lot harder for a lot less. Thanks lake association.

Joe
Attachments
F65B8A32-A061-413E-B91A-96EAD3B27EBB.jpeg
F65B8A32-A061-413E-B91A-96EAD3B27EBB.jpeg (491.91 KiB) Viewed 5210 times
9A346BB8-2241-49BC-B915-A5F9190EB8E4.jpeg
9A346BB8-2241-49BC-B915-A5F9190EB8E4.jpeg (444.11 KiB) Viewed 5210 times