Northerns after ice out.

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Brodie Allred

Northerns after ice out.

Post by Brodie Allred »

This is a question that I have been pondering for months. I know that soon after ice out, the northern pike head for the shallows for some spawning action. I haven't been out on the water when this occurs but I will be soon. I am curious if trolling would more than likely be too fast of a speed or if it is worth the efforts. I know that pike are a little more aggressive than most and they might hit anything, I don't know. I am just trying to make my time on the water more efficient. Come on Mr. Bales, I know you can help me out on this one.
John Bales
JB2

Ice out Pike

Post by John Bales »

Brodie, You knew I would respond did'nt you. In all of my years, I have never done what I call find the pike in the process of an actual spawn. Not like you see on tv where some bays are loaded with fish and you pick out the one you want. However the pike and musky can seem to be caught more easily than the largemouth. Early in the year is when the guys that fish the live bait can have good success. You would want to fish those lakes with the best populations of pike when fishing early in the year. Obviously Wawasee and Hamilton would be the best choices. It is no different than any other time that you go fishing. One day the live bait will do well and on some days you can get them on the troll and some casting artificials. The fish still relate to the weather and water conditions at the time that you are on the water. It is still up to you to check out all of your speed controls. Just because the ice has just come off do not rule out getting the fish on the troll with a spoonplug. You just have to be aware that you check your speed control to the minimum also. I am talking about while trolling spoonplugs.
I would bet that where you caught the pike through the ice this winter would be a top producer just as soon as you can get the boat in the water. That would be my number one choice. You may see me there also. John
Brodie Allred

Thanks for the reply

Post by Brodie Allred »

Pretty much all of what you said is what I pondered. It really confirmed my suspicions. Thanks for the help. I owe you one so if I see you out there I will key you in on the spot. Haha. Have a good one and thanks again.
Jim Shell
Site Admin

Post by Jim Shell »

A few years before I started spoonplugging, I went up north to Red Lake Ontario for a week of fishing. I would always go the last week of May. Depending on the weather, this would typically be 2 to 3 weeks after ice-out. The notherns would typically be in post spawn, and ALL the big ones caught would be found in large shallow bays(average depth of 8 feet). Bays with a fairly good sized feeder creek seemed to hold more fish. Back in those days(1983-86) I wasn't spoonplugging, but nevertheless I tried varouis presentations(speed control) to catch these pike. By far, the best bet was live and dead bait, drifting behind the boat. I didn't find this kind of presentation very exciting, but year after year it outproduced all other presentations by 10 to 1. I often wanted to try this on a close to home lake shortly after ice out, but havn't done it yet. Not sure how long the pike would stay in the shallow bays after spawn around here with all the traffic on the water.