Marcum LX-5

Looking to BUY,SELL or TRADE any of your fishing equipment? Post it here.
Bart

Marcum LX-5

Post by Bart »

Does anyone know anything about these deptfinders? The LX-5 comes with both 8 and 20 degree cones. I would have to convert it over to gimbal mount. I'm having a hard time finding a Zercom and 8 degree transducer.

noelhudson

Post by noelhudson »

Bart,

I don't know anything about this sonar, but I do have a Vexilar which looks very similar. It is also an ice fishing machine converted over to the boat, and gives color bands in three colors to show hardness and size of fish. This has been excellent for spoonplugging. I like it better than the Zercom Clearwater, as this machine gives actual real-time readouts, whereas the Zercom must first process the signal and then convert it into an LCD readout.

However, if I had it to do over, I might buy a Vexilar with less features(FL-10) that has a face scale showing 0 to 20 as the unit you showed has, with the inside circle showing 0 to 40 ft. My unit lacks this inner circle and therefore I am always having to multiply the depth readout by 2 or 3.

This doesn't sound like a very big deal, but in practice it is! And it always seems I need a range of 0 to 30 ft. Man, if I could find this type of unit with that range, I believe it would be ideal for my spoonplugging needs.

Noel
noelhudson

Post by noelhudson »

Bart,

I just took a closer look at the sonar in your photo, and the face plate is actually almost identical to mine. The inner circle does not show 0 to 40, but rather is a complicated zoom feature and bottom-lock feature used in ice fishing. I have found some use for this, but I would gladly trade this expensive and complicated feature for a simpler face plate.

Noel
Bart

Post by Bart »

Noel,

Thanks for the response. I remember you talking about that problem last year at the outing. I've been looking at the Vexilar FL-8SE. It comes with cone angles 9°, 12°, 19°(standard). I have located several Zercom's but don't know about locating the 8° transducer. Here's a pic of the FL-8SE.
Attachments
vexlar.jpg
vexlar.jpg (56.21 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
John Bales
JB2

Depth meters

Post by John Bales »

Why would you want to put your trust in a vexilar? Those readings would leave even an experianced fisherman wondering what all those lines are for. You would have to be out of your mind to spend money on those units. They show all that crap because thats what people want to see. You want a unit that shows the bottom and a zercom is unbeatable even without an 8 degree cone. You are thinking way too much. Buy the zercom with whatever cone it comes with and go fishing. John
noelhudson

Post by noelhudson »

Yeah, I do think John is right about the Vexilar. The money is spent on stuff that actually makes sense when ice fishing - stationary platform, the ability to zone in on the depth you have your bait at - which will show up green, and then as the fish approaches it shows as green and then red just before you feel the bite. I've seen it done - although I'm not sure I would want all that information even while ice fishing.

It is possible, however, to set the Vexilar on low power mode and see only the bottom depth and hardness. This is the setting I use 90 percent of the time - so why spend that much money? I did at the time because I couldn't find anything else.

Also, I believe the Zercom will be quieter. There are those, though, who really value a narrow cone angle.

Noel
Bart

Post by Bart »

Thanks guys,

I know what you mean. It looks confusing. I currenty have a Humminbird Proflasher. It has a 16 degree cone. I was wanting something that I can see the breaklines a little better. Zercom it is! I'll just keep hunting for the 8 cone.
Fran Myers
JB1

Flasher

Post by Fran Myers »

Hi Bart,
I have been using a Vexilar FL-18 for about 3 years now and I find it works just fine.

As to the question of 8 deg cone vs. 16 deg cone, I wouldn't bother. I have both and have NEVER found the need to go to the 8 deg cone. Use it too shallow and you can't read it very well.

In fact I have the dual cone feature on both my Vexilar and Garmin 178c and my garmin just doesn't do well at all with the changing of cone sizes.

I have never used either of the types of flashers you are talking about but I am sure any will do just fine.

Man you should try sleeping at 3:20 am. I know. Baby and all but still...

See Ya Soon,
Fran
Fran Myers
Bart

Post by Bart »

Fran,

I'm keeping what I have right now. I would rather spend that money on getting Terry out on the water. Baby? My youngest is 5. I'm a morning person. It's my only free time.
Fran Myers
JB1

Early Wake Up

Post by Fran Myers »

Hi Bart,
I figured that I was the only one who needed to getup that early. When I am down there fishing with Terry you will need to drive up from Charlotte.

Talk to you soon,
Fran
Fran Myers
Bart

Post by Bart »

Tell me when and consider it done!
Gene Price

Post by Gene Price »

Bart,
Options - Thoughts - Mouthing Off

You can get the Vex 18 as it has the low power option to assist in shallow water. Many units are poor in shallow water as they cannot adjust. The 9/19 dual transducer is convenient to switch between cone angles. Is trolling the only thing you are going to use this for? I use one for ice & have contemplated the "boat kit" for when my 2 1980's flashers finally die. Yes it is designed for a vertical presentation & works well for that. If I had mine rigged for a boat I would let you try it.

Look at buying a transducer from Airmar (www.Airmar.com) & put the appropriate end on. Someone in the N. IN club did this. Investigate the ability to get the Zercom you have in mind repaired by Humminbird. You may not want to spend much investing in one w/o support.

Go to the Humminbird site & search on Real Time Sonar. It is the leading edge of an LCD as a flasher. Zercom used this on their LPG2000 that H'bird renamed the Legend 3000 after the buy out. The whining about computing speed, LCD screen refresh & scroll rates should have gone away years ago. The processers in many of today's units are probably faster than the pc's a few here are using. I think Garmin has some units at 14 degree.

Don't ignore some new technology as a supplemental tool. Gutenberg gets the credit in your world but many others made it better. I tip my hat to Doug Bush for utilizing a camera to improve his skills - locating & catching fish where they're not supposed to be. Some folks denounce things never tried or not in the green book.