The AF chimes in....

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
pat maio

The AF chimes in....

Post by pat maio »

I'm getting the impression that spoonpluggers are an ancient breed.

I was an Airman Sgt. when I arrived in Suwon Korea at the end of 52.
I was only there about a month when I went to the latrine one evening and took a seat on the do-it-yourself wood toilet. I had just settled in when I was lifted of the seat a couple inches. Everybody scrambled out to see what had happened.
A hospital ship with wounded was taking off when it met and F-80, loaded with bombs, barreling down the runway. Sadly, no survivors from the massive explosion.
You may recall this one. About a month later one of those big carriers (C-24?) was taking a load of Airmen to Japan for their R&R when it plowed into a Japanese field. Again, no survivors.
I think if we really knew of the casualties in non combat operations it would surprise us.
Garry Boggs

Post by Garry Boggs »

Hi Pat,

I did a tour of duty in South Korea in 1969-1970 as a captain in the U.S. Army. I was stationed at Stanton Army Airfield 50km northwest of Seoul just south of the Imjin River. Our mission (2nd Aviation Division) was observation of the western half of the DMZ, training and general support, while at the same time remaining combat ready. As a helicopter pilot I flew the south fence many times in my UH-1D Huey.
Last edited by Garry Boggs on Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DouglasBush

Picture of airplane with 2 starboard engines feathered

Post by DouglasBush »

I had a buddy in the Navy who had done one hitch in the AirForce and he had a picture he took out the window of some airplane he was in over Germany and the 2 starboard engines were both feathered.
I said, man werent you scared to death? and you were taking pictures???
He says..."well we had parachutes"
Craziness...
Regards,
Douglas
david powell R.

Post by david powell R. »

This trip down memory is nice,but i would much rather here about some of your old spoonplugging trips,especially ones with Buck.
pat maio

Keeper of the bar

Post by pat maio »

Set up another round (don't go crazy with the expensive stuff) while Douglas preps himself and digs up some old tales of fishing with Buck.
Bill Patterson

USAF

Post by Bill Patterson »

Air Force here too, Pat. GCA Radar Repair. Not many exciting stories to tell like the Navy guys. After being sworn in (Raleigh), the thought crossed my mind to switch over to the next line (Navy), but I didn't. I'm sure it would have been more exciting. We just worked on radar and some of the radios, along with a phone switch, and the "new" video mapper & SIF/IFF. The Navy guys, I'm told, worked on all electronics; which had to be more stressful. Wouldn't know what was coming at you next. I guess that makes sense for them...if part of the crew was lost, anyone could take a stab at fixing anything of any type. Most rewarding job I've ever had though. With radar you have something to look at. With radio, it's just the VU meter, etc. Would be boring to me.