fishing in 2018!

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
Jim Shell
Site Admin

fishing in 2018!

Post by Jim Shell »

I'm looking forward to 2018 fishing!
I always enjoy and look forward to fishing new lakes, especially reservoirs. I fished old Hickory for the first time last year, it is one of my favorite places to fish now. It's a classic delta reservoir with a great population of bass, big saugers and pure stripers! Can't wait to go back again this year!
I think it would be cool to have an outing there. plenty of water to fish, Old hickory and Percy Priest lakes.
Another new reservoir I fished last year was DeGray lake in Arkansas. We tied into the wipers pretty good on that trip!
I'm headed back to Arkansas last weekend in March (spring break for the kids). In addition to Lake Hamilton and DeGray, I plan on fishing Lake Ouachita for the first time. It's one of the biggest reservoirs in Arkansas that is known for it's pure striper fishing. Many are caught in the 50lb class. It's normally a very clear reservoir, but as the guideline tells us, fish the headwaters, especially in the spring for a species that is migratory. An odd thing about this lake, it has a freshwater population of jellyfish!
Another trip to Red lake Ontario this year, the 3rd week in July. i plan on fishing lake Michigan lake front this spring for trout/salmon.
Looking forward to 2018!
“The day you become selfish in your fishing is the day your fishing growth stops” – Buck Perry
https://www.youtube.com/user/spnplg1
Gobi
200 series

Re: fishing in 2018!

Post by Gobi »

Jim,
Fishing Lake Michigan for spring trout/coho is on my bucket list too.

I am going to run a 4 rod spread
1. Fly on a 3 way on a jb
2. kwik fish 9 on long line with 1 oz inline weight
3. yakima mag lip 4 on a 3 way too
4. mag wart on a long line with inline weight

From what I read online, orange color seems to be the go to color and 2 mph is a good speed to troll.

What am I missing pls?
shibs - from GR, MI
[Beware of the guy with 1 rod and a 200 spoonplug]
ltharley
100 series

Re: fishing in 2018!

Post by ltharley »

Jim, I'm with you. Last year I was busy working on and selling my house. Then buying another and working on it. Time for some fishing.
Heading to Tennessee around Knoxville in April. Not sure what lakes yet, but Melton Hill, Fort Loudoun, Watts Bar, and Norris are possibilities.
Also planning on the October Canada trip with Borst and the gang.
Dennis