Pen 109 Reel

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
love2fish

Pen 109 Reel

Post by love2fish »

Hi,

I have been checking ebay for a pen 109 reel...I was out bid on the I bid on.....Is pen 109 levelwind the same thing?....Does anyone have an extra pen 109 reel for sale?...If not?...I guess I will go back to ebay...But, I want to make sure I am bidding on the right reel..

Jeremy
Thanks
Bye
Fran Myers
JB1

Penn 109

Post by Fran Myers »

Morning,
When you see Penn 109 or Penn 109 Level wind, they are the same reel.

Getting them off of Ebay isn't so bad, I bought about 15 or so of them a few years ago. Expect to pay 15 to 50 bucks for them. NONE of them are as in good a shape as they sold them as. Plan on getting them rebuilt. I sent 4 to Penn for rebuild but there are cheaper places to send them.

The only other issue that I found and a lot of people didn't know was that the reel foot comes in different sizes and some just don't fit into the reel seat of the spoonpluger rod without some alterations. Usually just a little grinding and the problem is solved.
Fran Myers
love2fish

Post by love2fish »

Hi Fran,

Is pretty expensive to send the reels to pen to have them worked on?...I guess it all depends on what needs to be done to them?.....What other places work on them?...

Jeremy
Thanks
Bye
Bill Patterson

Penn Reels

Post by Bill Patterson »

Jeremy, Penn's website is www.pennreels.com/ That site has an 'On-Line Store' section and the one you may want to look at is 'Retail Store Locator'. Then, pick your state and it will list the retailers in your state. If you are real lucky, someone may have a 109M left over. The 109LM is the left-handed version (handle on left side). I do have one of these that I don't use since I'm right-handed and found it awkward for me. Bought it for the bright idea I wouldn't have to change hands to cast, then reel. After all, I reel with left hand with spinning reels. Was awkward for some reason. Anyhow, I called Hill's in Raleigh this a.m. They don't have a 109M left over. Just the 9 and 209. Buck's Baits sells the Penn 9 since the 109 was discontinued. On this model, when the lever is dis-engaged, the handle doesn't turn as you let out line. I'm just used to the 109M. The 9 is the same size and quality. I think the Wertz family started Penn in 1932 and sold the company to Sea Striker of Morehead City, NC. The Penn branch of Sea Striker is still in Philly, where it's always been. I guess they unofficially support the 109 as long as parts last. Again, many of those retailers that also made repairs probably have the most common parts in stock--for a while. Check the retailers near you and you may get lucky. Just about no one but a Spoonplugger would want the 109. But, I've found them to be great for flounder (easy to drop back a little line & hesitate) and can handle large sheephead, too. Has some winching power!
pat maio

another opinion

Post by pat maio »

Last year I got an answer to my query on cost from Penn for 4 -109s. I don't recall the number but apparently there is a basic charge that applies right at the outst.
I was very surprised at the amount of money involved. I found that for a little more money I could buy new ones, which I did. I guess that labor intensive work is always expensive.
Jerry Borst
800 series

Post by Jerry Borst »

You guys can fix these reels yourselves. Or, you can send them to me and I'll fix em for $20 each plus parts & shipping. ebay isn't a bad way to go.

Jerry Borst
28313 Lakeview cr. Mchenry IL 60051
love2fish

Post by love2fish »

Hi,

I plan on getting a pen 109 reel off ebay....If it needs worked on?...I will send it to you Jerry....What nobo lb test should I start out with?....Remember I am just a beginner....I plan on ordering me a trolling rod from Buck's website...Plus some spoonplugs...I think I will get about 2-3 in each size...Where do you get the lure knockers at?.....

Jeremy
Thanks
Bye
Jerry Borst
800 series

Post by Jerry Borst »

Jeremy,

You can find some good reels on ebay, they should be fine.

Order yourself a bulk pac of 17lbs, good all around line! If your fishing on bass/walleye/cats/ect. waters tie it right to a #3 snap. However if your fishing on muskie/ pike lakes then you should tie to a good strong 7 strand or tie to a heavy duty swivel then to a 2'-3' piece of heavy mono say 80lbs. You don't want to miss a biggie or loose lures needlessly.

I just poured 100 more retrievers and they will be sent to the powder coating shop soon, I get $40 each.

One thing you want to do for sure is get to a outing (check the National for dates) you will get a lot of your questions answered there, these guys are more than willing to share with the ones who show effort.
Jerry
Attachments
retreiver 005a.jpg
retreiver 005a.jpg (62.22 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
love2fish

Post by love2fish »

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the information...Let me know when you starting selling the lure knockers...I will need to get one...I am going to try and hit the Crab Orchard outing with Bart Allen at the first of July...

Jeremy
Thanks
Bye
love2fish

Post by love2fish »

Hi,

Just purchased this pen 109 levelwind reel off ebay for around $33 dollars...Here is a picture of it....I probably send it to you Jerry and let you take a look at it...See if it needs any work done to it.....My next purchase will be a trolling rod from Buck's website...I have been told that the short action trolling rod will be the best for a beginner...Do I need a casting rod setup now?...Or is that something I will need later?....
Attachments
a8e3_2.jpg
a8e3_2.jpg (6.52 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
aquinate

Post by aquinate »

Jeremy,

The rods from Buck's Baits are excellent but let me make an observation. I tried the short-handle rods and the long-handle (cork) rods.

The short-handle rod gives you less leverage against big fish (and big snags too). When you get a respectable fish on the line, holding that rod is like holding up a shovel by the very end of its handle. I recommend the longer handle so you can rest its base against your gut and have some leverage. Its worth the extra $$.

John
pat maio

Jeremy

Post by pat maio »

I strongly suggest you put bigger handle on the reel. Those small handles are painful when you have to reel in a bunch of line/wire with 5 lbs of weeds....
Bill Patterson

Reel handle, casting reel

Post by Bill Patterson »

Jeremy, Buck's Baits sells the handles. I guess you'd describe it as the 'L' handle, to replace a 'T' handle on a 109. Look at your reel closely and you'll see the words "Spare Pawl". This is a spare for the pawl that rides in the grooves of the level wind. It should turn freely in operation. Keep a little oil on this. Keep the little oiling points (underneath the ball dust caps). Doesn't take much oil at a time. The pawl is usually the first part to wear out. And even that is hard to do, if kept oiled.
You may already own a casting rod and reel that will work. 6 the 7 foot rod, medium-heavy is a likely choice. Make sure the casting rod and reel are of casting type (NOT a spinning reel--a bait cast reel). Multiple hooks on a Spoonplug and most any other plug will often get hung on your line if you use a spincast reel. Spincast is fine for single-hook lures.
I got hung a number of times Friday before last. Could usually get unhung by following the instructions in the Green Book. But...twice I had to use my plug knocker and even then it was difficult. Got back my 100 and 700 tho. Also, found a problem with my knocker outfit. I use 1/4 inch line on my heavy knocker. Just have it wrapped around a small board. If figure-eight (like in photo) this may work OK. But, part of mine was just wound round & round the board. This caused kinks as it unwound. I was wondering why I was having trouble getting knocker down the lure. [Dang rope was wrapped several times around my fishing line and would NOT go down easily!!] Bob mentioned recently that he picks up his anchor with an electrical reel. I bought one of the at Lowes, straightened out my rope & wound it onto this reel. Haven't tried it yet, but should solve problem.
The plug knocker is a must.
You never know when you may find a school, or need to try fan casting; so it won't hurt to keep that casting rod with you on Every Trip!!
Bill Patterson

Oops!

Post by Bill Patterson »

Oh, no...I'd better explain what I said a little further. Jerry's knocker (pictured in this topic) has plastic marker attached. He probably doesn't toss the whole thing overboard, but lets the line slip through his free hand as the knocker sinks. The marker is flopping around in the bottom of the boat. The stick/board type of line holder can be done the same way...just let it flop around and probably no kinks will develop. I may have been holding one end of my board at times, thus introducing additional kinks. I had a row of a dozen lures (spoonplugs and jump lures) lined up on a holder on the side of my boat. Didn't want rope to get into these! That's why I was leary of letting the board jump all around. I do think the reel thingie will work nicely, though. Be trying it soon.
Garry Boggs

Post by Garry Boggs »

Bill,

I did a search on the Lowe's site for electric reels and it didn't find anything. Can you provide more detail like their stock number, price, department, and what this reel is most commonly used for.

Thank you,
Garry