5 Weeks to Go!

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
Fran Myers
JB1

5 Weeks to Go!

Post by Fran Myers »

I'm not keeping the fact that I am going to South Africa a secret. It's all I have been talking about to anyone who asks me anything whether it's about computers, telephones, or fishing. I am sure it's annoying.

Airline tickets were purchased, passport renewed, accommodations paid for, boat arranged (had to buy two boats...long story), reels, line, lures, plug knocker, etc...literally everything a Spoonplugger needs is in Africa now because I sent the stuff there over the last 4 months. The new 4-Stroke motor is broke in, the Lowrance Sounders installed and work. Hell there's even a stereo...

Howard, my ground guide, has organized everything and set everything up. He's been juicing the situation with stories about man-eating crocodiles, cannibles (some witch dr was arrested with a white guy in his pot last month...I found it in a newspaper), and we are really getting excited. Couple of weeks ago he mentioned how fun it would be to have a game call with. So I bought one.

We are going game viewing instead of fishing for a few days. Both day and night game trips. Howard has assured me that not only will we draw some really cool African predators, we are going to be scaring the shit out of fellow fisherman and tourists. My last package I sent to Africa had my Wireless 4 Camera system in it and no matter how fat I look - we are going to have a LOT of video, pictures and stories.

I am hoping to be able to post reports every few days but it's Africa - you never know. Wish I could say that I am fishing like crazy at home but I'd be lying. But it's nice to see you guys catching some fish.

Will post pictures of my boats as soon as I get them.

Night
Fran Myers
beckman44
700 series

Re: 5 Weeks to Go!

Post by beckman44 »

Fran; A lot of us on here will be checking daily hoping for reports from you. I think it will be quite an adventure for you. Can't wait to hear the stories of the wild game and hopefully big bass. How cool. Bill.
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

Bill, you can't imagine the stories I've heard.
Have been told there is plenty of 3G and 4G where we are going so I am thinking there will be at LEAST word posts. I may have to wait to post pictures and videos.

It's going to be incredible.

I meant to drop you a note: did you guys get through that weather a few weeks ago OK?
Fran Myers
beckman44
700 series

Post by beckman44 »

Fran, We got hit pretty hard. No damage around my house, but quite a bit where small tornadoes hit. Bill. What Reservoirs are you planning on fishing down there?
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

That's good you guys came out OK. Which Reservoirs...I will get some screen shots of them in a minute. This post is for boat pictures.
This boat is called the Tug 20. it is 14' or 15' long. Similar to a Troller with a modified "V" with sponsons.

The Fran!.jpg
The Fran!.jpg (939.19 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
Attachments
A cold Craigie Burn..jpg
A cold Craigie Burn..jpg (786.25 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
Side view..jpg
Side view..jpg (929.24 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
Fran Myers
Fran Myers
JB1

3 different Reservoirs

Post by Fran Myers »

I will be fishing 3 different Reservoirs.

1. Lake Phobane (name changed from what is displayed)
Size is approximately 9 miles long and a mile at the widest.
Water color this time of year could be as much as 3 feet and I have seen pictures showing color similar to white sandy. Just depends on rain and temperatures.

This was an experimental reservoir it has many exotic species including a Freshwater Tarpon from Indonesia I think. My primary target is the large population of LARGE Florida Strain Largemouth. My companion says that it isn't unusual to have a 10 pound average in your catches, with 12 to 16 pound fish not unusual. Fish have been caught over 19 pounds and no one would be surprised if the next South African record Bass came from this body of water.

The water color if generally a dark yellow green! Being that I am going in the prespawn season, I wouldn't be surprised if the color isn't that dark.

After fishing Chickamauga, Kentucky, and a few others it was incredibly frustrating to deal with the trot lines. Well they don't do that in Africa or at least here because of the resident population of Crocodiles to 19' long. there is no soft area that they know of. Its all rock of different sizes. This reservoir gets very LITTLE pressure because its a bit off the beaten path.

We are staying at a lodge called Shakaland. If any of you are movie buffs you'll have heard of a movie called "Shaka Zulu". The movie set is part of the resort that was built years after the movie was made. The lodge is 10 minutes to the water and has most modern conveniences. I am just not certain where that line is drawn. Running water? yes Electricity and Air Conditioning? yes I am being a bit of a dick here but it looks very nice. I have arrange for a BBQ for anyone who comes and joins us. Will be really fun.
Phobane.jpg
Phobane.jpg (221.04 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
2. Lake Inanda
The description of this reservoir is nearly the same as Phobane with some important differences. Because this reservoir is closer to better roads it gets more traffic. Water color will be as much as 5' and there are no crocs. There is some netting of bass and other things but it is still one of the premier Florida Strain Lakes in South Africa.

Our accommodations will be large tents like the outfitters in Alaska use. Howard will be doing all the cooking (French trained chef...)
Inanda.jpg
Inanda.jpg (142.36 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
3. Craigie Burn
This reservoir is different. It's clear, probably a lowland, and is one of 3 reservoirs with a significant Smallmouth population. Our accommodations are the family log cabin that looks very nice. No crocs, few boaters, very tightly controller access.
Craigie Burn.jpg
Craigie Burn.jpg (158.49 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
We have some feelers out. If there is any decent saltwater action there is a plan for a 1/2 day escape to get some video of big Barracuda eating JB's.
Fran Myers
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Fran,
The first two look like some of our Highlanders and Canyon types we have out here.
Look for the "dirt" on those rocky suckers!
I would imagine you are going to have a ball!
Looking forward to your reports.
Have fun and watch out for the critters that can eat you!
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

You know it's funny you say that Steve. I have been think a lot about you since this whole adventure started to build into something beyond talk. Yes, the reservoir shapes are right out of the Home Study. As to the Hunting side of things, A couple of weeks ago Howard (my ground person in SA) mentioned how much fun we could have if we only had a game call. Knowing what you've told me, the stories that Howard has told me (he was a professional Hunter and Guide in several African countries) - the only response I could think of was "We shall have one". And I went to the new Cabelas 5 miles from my house and bought one. It is now in Africa and Howard is loading game sounds onto it.

I am told that not only will we use the call to bring in game but some fairly good sport will be had putting it outside peoples tents at night...
If I have to I will turn it into a Monty Python skit by bringing some ketchup packets. We have 4 wireless cameras. Who knows I may end up in jail or getting some video that could pay for the trip.

The real thing that sealed the trip for me was a couple of days at a place called 'Hilltop'. It's in something called the Umfolosi Game Reserve which I think is the size of Rhode Island. We will not be fishing at all but taking self guided game tours. Howard has said a number of times that there are MANY places we will go look that he will not be getting out of the truck (Lions and Leopards). I guess 15 foot tall Elephants can get right up to you so quiet you won't hear them.

Have asked for a Rhino demonstration. In the film "The Gods Must Be Crazy" a camp fire was stamped out by a Rhino. Howard said he's had it happen. I think he's trying to pull one on me and I said prove it...

So we have man eating crocs in Phobane (I have gotten 3 separate reports since I bought my ticket in February). Man eating Men. And we have areas where the Guide won't get out of the truck. I have to be honest I can't wait. Phobane will have Giraffes, Cape Buffalo, various Antelope, Kudu, Wildebeest, Zebra, and other game coming right up to the water while we are fishing.

Sure hope I get some sleep before I go cause I haven't slept too much lately.
Fran Myers