running wire

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
joseph radunz
200 series

running wire

Post by joseph radunz »

Here's a tools question for ya. I just started running wire. I've been using the braided lines for years now but I can only get down to about 35 feet or so.. Soooo. I figured I'd try wire. I love stuff - your spoonplug follows the boat like a lost puppy - but after only two trips out The wire cut grooves in my rod tip. Do I just have a crappy tip or do you guys who use it a lot use something different? I remember reading about roller tips and what not but is that the answer? I'm stoked to get out there and learn some deeper stuff but with my luck I'd hook the fish of my dreams and it'd break me off because of my rod tip. Any response would be helpfull. thanks for your time
Jerry Borst
800 series

Post by Jerry Borst »

Joseph,
Wire is not a walk in the park, it beats up rods, reels, leaves groves in the side of your boat, cuts your hands up ect, but it's the only way to go!!
Buck's baits rods come with a good tip top and they sell replacements as well.
Not many store bought rods handle wire for any great length of time and
it sound like you are ready for new one. Spend a couple extra bucks and get something good. I've tried the rollers and didn't like em. The line must ride through the roller at all times meaning the rod needs to be pointed in the same direction,, not always possible.

Don't worry about that dream fish,, cause now that you have wire in your bag of tricks your DREAM fish is about to get much BIGGER!!!! :D
Jerry Borst
Last edited by Jerry Borst on Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joseph radunz
200 series

Post by joseph radunz »

jerry, thanks for the advice - I guess I should know by now that Buck's equipment is the only way to go. It's funny, after only two trips out I feel short handed without wire line. I know some of the posts had talked about losing feel using wire but I didn't find that to be true. You could tell the difference between shells, sand, rock and muck. Anyways, hopefully the I can get this taken care of quickly, cause I'm itching. I only have 1 lake in my county with muskies and of course the water color is pretty clear. Thanks again for your time and advice!

Joe