Sound familiar? Bassmaster classic winner

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Bink
800 series

Sound familiar? Bassmaster classic winner

Post by Bink »

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/mX00rCNc-S4
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
John Bales
JB2

Re: Sound familiar? Bassmaster classic winner

Post by John Bales »

Bink, I enjoy watching the Bassmaster Classic every year. You can watch the weigh in on line live. It is always educational to see what it takes to catch the fish, especially in the conditions that they faced. Many of our spoonpluggers are half assed spoonpluggers. I can say this because I am only repeating what Mr. Perry said about those spoonpluggers who only fish from early summer up till september or so. I am always on Kenny Hyde's butt for not fishing during the pre-spawn and into the late fall. I once heard a spoonplugger make a comment that the summer is nearing and that this is our time of the year. My thoughts on that is why not make every time we go fishing our time of year. For me it is not enough to know what fish do for just part of a season. We have always fished from ice out till ice up. This is the reason we know how to cast which is a big weakness for a lot of our spoonpluggers. What happens is that the fisherman catches a fish and is not sure where to anchor the boat and after failing a few times, he eventually gives up the casting all together.
Back to the Bassmasters. I wanted to ask if anyone had followed this years event but I doubt if many of our guys pay much attention to the casters. There is always something to learn when many are out on the water. It doesnt matter if they are spoonpluggers or not. I took 4 years away from spoonplugging and started fishing the larger local tournaments and when we did not do well, my partner always wanted to get the boat loaded and get the heck out of there. I never allowed him to do that. I wanted to know who kicked my butt and how they did it. I wanted to learn. Your pretty much knew how everyone fishes and who does what for most of the time so it was a matter of finding out which guys did well. My toughest days were on the conditions where there was little or no movement. The flippers and dock fishermen would win on those days. All of my spots were found by trolling spoonplugs and we just went from one spot to another and hope the fish would become active and move. When they did move, we usually did well. This bassmaster guy is no dummy. John
Bink
800 series

Re: Sound familiar? Bassmaster classic winner

Post by Bink »

John I'm a huge basmmaster fan been watching for 25+ years. Just saw this today and thought some guys would think its interesting. If you have a chance to watch it the guy who took second Brandon P. also fished some that we would look for.
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish