Spoonpluggers across America

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
site admin
Site Admin

Spoonpluggers across America

Post by site admin »

I received the national Spoonpluggers directory today. Some interesting facts:

257 members in the United Sates.
166 (65%) are from the Midwest
19 (7%) from the Northeast
49 (19%) from the south
23 (9%) from the west

Nearly half, 119 (46%) are from Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan!
beckman44
700 series

Re: Spoonpluggers across America

Post by beckman44 »

What really surprizes me is how few are from North Carolina. Why the state where it all began isn't loaded with spoonpluggers really baffles me. Bill.
Consigliere

Post by Consigliere »

Any Canadians other than myself?
Kevin McClure

Post by Kevin McClure »

I saw one other Canadian and two South Africans on the online Directory.
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Bill,
I remember hearing Buck say one time, that if he had it to do all over again, he would not have start his "preaching" in that part of the country. No one would listen in the south. Too set in their ways he said.
It wasnt until 1957 when he went to Chicago that people began to listen to what he was saying, and probably why still so many in the club in that part of the country today. More open minded type people, etc.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Steve Craig wrote:Bill,
I remember hearing Buck say one time, that if he had it to do all over again, he would not have start his "preaching" in that part of the country. No one would listen in the south. Too set in their ways he said.
It wasnt until 1957 when he went to Chicago that people began to listen to what he was saying, and probably why still so many in the club in that part of the country today. More open minded type people, etc.
Steve,

I can add a little to this. I have heard Mr. Perry talk about this and read his comments. When Buck Perry started Buck's Baits in 1946, he started traveling around the south to sell his products. A lot of lakes and reservoirs were built during and after WWII for the generation of electricity and flood control.

These lakes were just coming into their own. New lakes with a new populaltion of young fish, ready to be caught. Also, keep in mind that the agriculture practices of that time were not what they are today...lots of run off made for good water color. [Read Doug Bush's articles on his early fishing days]. Good populations of fish and good water color made for good fishing. No one was interested in anything new, or as Mr. Perry was told "we just don't fish that way here."

The situation in the northland was that there were a lot of natural lakes, with good water color, and lakes, for the most part that were free of hangs. The first time I fished a large natural lake in Florida, I could hardly believe that I couild fish all day with no hangs and no lost lures! Wow! Learning to troll on the TVA Lakes (Tennessee River) is an exercise in patience. [Not only do I carry a good plug knocker I carry a spare.]

So the fisherman with natural lakes available did find that it was eaiser to troll and they found that they could catch a lot more fish by applying Mr. Perry's principles. Fortunately by having good business up north, Mr. Perry was able to stay in business and those of us who have come along at a different time are able to find his books and lures still available.

Mr. Perry's fishing facts apply anywhere to any fishing conditions. We as Spoonpluggers, no matter where we live, can use Mr. Perry's guidance to increase our knowledge and skills.

TN Dave
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

To clarify.............
I was not saying that people in the south are dumb, or ignorant or anything of the like! :|
Hardly the case.
But some people (Wayne) read my post above and then start spreading rumors that I was calling them dummies.
I didnt make that statement..........Buck did! :x He said it, not me.
Don Dickson told me in essence the same story!
Did i hear it wrong....twice?!!!!!
Anyone that really knows me, knows that I would NEVER say things like that to anyone!

If you took it that way then maybe you are a dummy!

And thank you Dave for your fine post above.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!