YEARS PAST, SUBMITED WINTER SEMINAR QUESTIONS

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
joe renholds

YEARS PAST, SUBMITED WINTER SEMINAR QUESTIONS

Post by joe renholds »

Other than depth, can you site any circumstances where wire line would be advantageous over NO-BO ??????
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: YEARS PAST, SUBMITED WINTER SEMINAR QUESTIONS

Post by Steve Craig »

Yes I can.
In any lake where you encounter zebra or quagga mussels, you run a huge risk of lots of cutoffs, any time your line comes in contact with rock, brush, trees on the bottom. They grow all over these things.
Out here, you also get a lot of cutoffs simply from the type of rock we have here. Lava rock is basically glass in content and when using NOBO, you will notice how it cuts and strips your line very easily.
Wire is preferred on most of these lakes.
Even when I use braid, I still put on a 6 to 12 foot wire leader. 3 foot leaders do zero good out here.
FWIW
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Fran Myers
JB1

Re: YEARS PAST, SUBMITED WINTER SEMINAR QUESTIONS

Post by Fran Myers »

Other reasons you'd use wire besides depth....

I like to use wire when I'm trying to work a lake with a tall weed line. If I can keep the line short and still hold the depth with a big lure, I can work closer to the edge.

Sometimes lure size is an issue. I will use wire to take a smaller lure deeper than its normal range.

If the bottom is really soft instead of using a 700 or 800 with longer nobo lengths, I prefer to use a 200 on wire because with nobo I lose feel of the lure. I can feel the change in lure wiggle better with wire.

I'm sure there are more reasons but I can't think of them right now. Besides what John said about the zebra mussels and weed lines, these are the main reasons.
Fran Myers