Out in Africa

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
Fran Myers
JB1

Out in Africa

Post by Fran Myers »

Ive been in the early stages of planning a fishing trip to Africa. We've had visitors from africa on this site for about two years now since I started posting on their forum. This is a report from two weeks ago. Make sure you do the metric conversations. It took my breath away.

The biggest issue in the trip so far is securing the proper boat. Paul is building his boat which I hope is finished. If not I may have to buy something. Not sure where we'll fish but I'm really getting excited. Enjoy...

http://www.bwgonline.co.za/index.php?op ... Itemid=112

PS...

4.5 kg is 12 pounds
6.06 kg is 16 pounds
7.07 kg is almost 19 pounds

Someone caught a number go 12 pounders in a single day. Jeez! All caught from float tubes, rubber boats...incredible.
Fran Myers
Fran Myers
JB1

Re: Out in Africa

Post by Fran Myers »

So I spoke to my friend in Africa and we are gathering information. I just thought I would share some of the very FEW contour maps of South Africa.

We are thinking of spending considerable time at Inanda, Phobane, Vaal, and some others I can't remember. I think Phobane is the best choice. Supposed to be murky water color water about 90 to 100' max with a lot of channel depths in the 30 to 60 foot range. And the only bass in it is Florida Strain and they DO get fish over 20 pounds.

The fishing report I posted from another friend is from another country - Botswanna. It is electric only so that is a challenge but I found that the water is low with channel breaklines to 60 feet. I would have to buy an electric outboard (probably a Torqueedo Cruise 2.0) but it would really be a cool trip.

It turns out there are a number of people around the country of South Africa and while a challenge we'll be able to get tiller driven boats all over. I am really getting excited about going.
Click on the links for the dams (what Africans call Reservoirs) and move the picture around and zoom in. I'd really like to know what you guys who spend most of your time on reservoirs think.

http://www.damcontours.co.za/
Fran Myers