Line Selection

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Consigliere

Line Selection

Post by Consigliere »

I'm total newb to many things in spoonplugging but fishing line is something that I think I have tried most of what is out there.

I recently ordered wire and No-Bo from Buck's Baits as well as my first order of spoonplugs. They wire line there was easy to spool and has held up well to the first few snags and fish. No complaints at all. However, I also ordered some No-Bo line. I would have to say, compared to modern super braids, it is fairly stretchy and the diameter is fairly large in comparison to the same pound test in super braid. If you tell me to spool No-Bo and get rid of the super braids I will believe you, but given the differences between them I would say that the modern super braids are superior, especially if probing the depths is the goal. Any comments on this?

For wire, are there better/cheaper options? I like to fish for musky, and hopefully at some point one that is a trophy. Would anyone recommend something larger than 20lb wire for deep trolling or does the higher pound test wire outweigh the benefits of the 20lb for getting deeper? Would there be a concern of breaking off a 20lb wire with a very large fish on? Obviously, leaders and snaps/swivels need to be beefed up, I have those aspects covered no problem. Just curious about the wire itself since I am inexperienced with this type of line. I typically use a Shimano Tekota LC reel which has max drag less than 20lbs so the fundamental mechanics of breaking strength and fishing reels would say that line will peel before it will break. I think I may have just answered my own question.
John Bales
JB2

Re: Line Selection

Post by John Bales »

Yes, I have several comments on this. Like all of our fishing tools, everything has it's place. No bo has just about the same stretch as florocarbon. It was designed many moons ago and it too, has it's place. If you were fishing a lake with a dark yellow green water color and your breaklines were at 5,10,and 14 feet with 22 feet being the deepest water in the lake, you would want to fish primarily with the no bo. If you were fishing early in the season, you would want the long lines out behind the boat, not because you will scare the fish but their reaction to the passing of the boat will be slow in the early season or after a cold front. You are not fishing on this type of lake so the question for you might be .......why worry about no bo or the smaller lures. This doesnt fit your situation but it will some day and you will need the no bo and will understand it's use in time. It is a tool just like braid, and wire. Many start using braid and forget the wire and the no bo. This is a mistake...... a big one. You need a bit more time on the water to completely understand some of what we talk about..... You are fishing a great body of water. You may never want to leave it behind but to learn, you must fish all types of water and learn to fish the shallows, the deep, and the inbetween waters. You add to that, during all seasons , and then you see that there is a lot to learn. You are just getting started so it is important not to jump to any conclusions just yet. Take Care John