Probably a should figuure this out on my own but.....

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
tom p.

Probably a should figuure this out on my own but.....

Post by tom p. »

I'm just starting out but I am starting to think about situations I will be encountering soon. The Lake I fish in Minnesota has bullrushes and lilly pads extending out on the shoreline from 10-20 yards in several areas. At the edge of the weeds it is usually between 8-15 ft. My question is: on my inital trolling passes should I still start with the 500 series and not make any contact with the bottom or move to a 400 or 250 and why?

Thanks,

Tom
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: Probably a should figuure this out on my own but.....

Post by Steve Craig »

Tom,
In the material Mr. Perry tell us we are to "stack" our lures down the side of the weedline.
This can be a weedline, brushline(like i have out here), or even a sheer rock wall(I also have here).
The point is that yes, you start with the 500 and make passes with each size until you reach the bottom.
On a long weedline, lay out your markers on the tips or points in that weedline, and then make your passes as close to the weedline as you can without constantly fouling your lures, in more or less straightline passes next to each marker. If you make contact with fish, most of the time it will be on the points first. If you do, then you can always anchor or use a trolling motor and cast all the little inside turns in the weedline, pockets etc.
We should never assume where the fish have to be. The presentation of lures will tell us.
Hope this helps
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
tom p.

Post by tom p. »

Thanks Steve. I think I have tried to absorb so much that i need to take some time and review what i have gone over.

Tom
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

Hi Tom,
Where in Minnesota do you live? If you're close we can try to get together sometime.

Fran
Fran Myers
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Fran,
Tom lives in Nebraska, but fishes a lake in Minn.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
tom p.

Post by tom p. »

Thanks for the offer Fran. Like Steve said I live in Nebraska but we spend a week on White Earth Lake, which is about 30-40 miles North of Detroit Lakes every summer. A relation of mine owns a resort there. It is a little different situation than I'm used to fishing in Eastern Nebraska.

Tom