GPS THESE DAYS

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
CHAMP
700 series

GPS THESE DAYS

Post by CHAMP »

HAVE BEEN NOTICING IN THE BIG TOURNYS,(BASSMASTER, FLW)THE GUYS HAVE BEEN CATCHING SOME REALLY GOOD BAGS OF BASS.A LOT OF THESE BASS ARE NOWADAYS GOT ON OFF SHORE STRUCTURE.SEEMS THESE BOYS HAVE GOTTEN VERY GOOD FISHING AWAY FROM THE BANK.WHATS THE ANSWER? IS IT SIMPLY WE HAVE SO MANY GUYS FISHING THESE DAYS,OR IS IT THE DREADED GPS. I KNOW MANY DAYS IN THE PAST I BE SITTING OFF SHORE CATCHING BASS,HERE COMES SOME ONE ON A BOAT SEE I'M BOATING A BASS AND QUICKLY SEE THEM HIT THERE GPS UNIT ,EASLY STEALING MY BASS LOCATION.PRIME EXAMPLE WAS THIS PAST SAT.GOT TO MY 2ND. LOCATION THERES A COUPLE ON MY WATER , CHAT BREIFLY, THEY INFORM ME ITS THERE BEST SPOT ON THE LAKE.SAID THEY HAD FISHED IT EVERY MORNING THE PAST 4 DAYS,HAD CAUGHT NUMBERS OF BIG BASS.I COULD TELL THEY WERE FISHING BY GPS LOCATIONS,WHAT REALLY MADE ME KNOW THEY DIDN'T KNOW MUCH IS WHERE THEY WENT NEXT, WOULD'VE CAUGHT JUST AS MUCH THROWING UP ON THE BANK.I'M NOT LIKING ALL OF THIS NEW TECHNOLOGY(PS HAD A GOOD DAY SAT. 6:30 TILL 4:30 BOATED 28 BASS WITH 5 BEING OVER 5LBS.BIGGEST WAS 5LB.11OZ.)
David Powell
Duplex

Re: GPS THESE DAYS

Post by Duplex »

Champ,

This is to be expected since the majority of fishermen have no idea what they're doing on the water. Have you ever noticed how boats seem to congregate in an area? One guy sees another guy catch a fish and goes over. The next guy sees two boats together and assumes they're on the fish and goes over. And on and on it goes. The lake I'm currently fishing produces the same kind of nonsense from the locals. I try to never throw a marker. If I do and someone comes within 100 yard of me, I pick it up and leave the area. I try to take precise rifle sights so there's no need for markers. If I'm anchored and someone comes near, I pull the anchor and leave. Our club has lost a number of good spots that no one ever fished. We try to be more careful now.

One consolation you can have is that few fishermen understand fish movement or have the patience to wait on the fish. If they go to a spot and it doesn't produce right away, they will move on rather quickly. They also don't understand that the fish could have moved shallower or deeper and may be on a break/breakline nearby.

Your best bet is to be more cautious in your fish catching activities when others are around and try to be discreet netting a fish.

Jim