Did You get your boat fitted out Jim Shell?

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
TN Dave
100 series

Re: Did You get your boat fitted out Jim Shell?

Post by TN Dave »

Jim,

I checked my 2005 Honda, 50 HP, tiller is the same length 28", as your 40 HP. The new Honda 60 HP has the updated tiller handle (similar to the Yamaha) and it is the same length.

Evinrude makes one the neatest tiller handle for the 15 HO outboard; but still uses the old style tiller for the other motors. The 60 E-Tec is used more by commercial fisherman who pilot their boat standing up...thus the longer tiller.

As Gary noted, a couple of trips and you will be quiet comfortable in the new boat, especially with Mom and the two children.

Keep us updated.

TN Dave
Jim Shell
Site Admin

Re: Did You get your boat fitted out Jim Shell?

Post by Jim Shell »

it's been several weeks now and the verdict is in, Boat and motor is great!
Had to move the seat back and spend some time getting use to it, I don't regret a thing. The "plastic" boat is great! It maneuvers very similar to my other boat and I love the fact that I'll have NO more leaking hulls in the future. After a good power wash the boat looks like brand new each time. Easy to clean. I like not having carpet (or wood) in the boat. Adding gadgets are easy as you can screw any accessory in anywhere. The only thing I might like to see different is the livewell size. But then again, in the last 10 years i haven't kept anything that would need a 48" long livewell (other than my daughter's troupy pike last year). If they do make a larger livewell in the future, I'm sure i could modify the boat to install it. being made from 100% plastic, you can re-work things pretty easily.
As far as the motor, I'm sure I would have been very happy with either the Honda or Eveinrude. I have no regrets getting the Evinrude anymore. Yes, I would have preferred if the tiller handle was about 6" shorter, but after tweaking things, it is working out fine now.
“The day you become selfish in your fishing is the day your fishing growth stops” – Buck Perry
https://www.youtube.com/user/spnplg1